Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a good 5-string bass and half decent cab/head

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sonic, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

:D Hey I'm new, I need some info on what is a good 5-string for metal, as well as a cab/amp. I need some new stuff because I beat the crap out of my equipment and it doesn't last long. So anyone got any Ideas?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Welcome to TalkBass, Sonic.

CHeck the classifieds for a bunch of deals on gear from other TB members. Also, you can post an ad in the "Wanted" section.

Let's keep the wheelin' and dealin' out of the basses forrum, shall we?

3. I don't think anyone is wheeling and dealing, I think he is looking for some suggestions of what would be a good rig. I also think that vagenis is trying to suggest how much the stuff he is suggesting would cost.

I would suggest going to a music store and checking out everything that you can. As far as suggestions go, they are only going to get you so far. If you know exactly what you want in the bass it would be easier to suggest.

My first question would be: How much are you willing to spend?

I would go on from there to things like the size of places you are playing, if any. The specs that you like on basses, if you know, such as string spacing, scale length, pickup preferences, electronics, etc, etc.

It is a big question you ask, with limitless answers.

Geoff

4. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

It depends where you live actually, me I'm 100% pure Canadian. Blood Type: Moosehead

5. How much are you planning on spending? That'll help figure out what you're looking for. I'd stay away from Ibanez Soundgears, myself. They tend to have really floppy B strings. Their BTB series is awesome, though. If you can aford them, Warwicks are great. As for the amp question, you might want to post another thread in the amps section. You'll prolly get more hits on that.

6. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Kewl, eh? :)