I need a good 5-string for under $1000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by biscuit, Sep 11, 2000.

1. biscuit

Mar 6, 2000
    Virginia, USA
    Christmas is coming and I want to get a 5-string. My budget is $1000. I like the Modulus Quantum 5 and the Lakland Deluxe 5 but they are both over $2000. I also like the Reverend Rumblefish 5L but I am concerned that it won't be versatile enough (I do slap occasionally). All the 5-strings that I have like have had a 35" scale.

Can anyone recommend a good bass with a tight "B" for under a grand.
  2. Well, I'll recommend a Fender Roscoe Beck. They can now be found for under $1000. Even though they have a 34" scale the B is really great. A very versatile bass with many usable tones right at your finger tips.
  3. Though I've never played one myself, Carvin has a great reputation in the bass guitar field. You can get a standard neck through body five string for around $750, I think. Plus, you can customize it. With Carvin, the extra $250 would go a long way in customizing. If you're interested, go to the Carvin website--they have an MP3 file you can hear of Bunny Brunel using his signiture (Carvin with stock pickups) bass. That way you can hear what they sound like. Later!

Woofy Out!
  4. I strongly second the RB5; just got one Saturday and I love it! One of THE very best 5 stringers in ANY price range. And, it has the same string spacing as a Jazz, so it's great for slap!

Here's a link to the Bass Player review/feature of the RB5, and a discussion with Roscoe Beck about designing it:

5. rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    I'd have to recommend a Peavy. They have some of the best 5's that I've ever played. They do slap damn nicely (I slap as well) and you can find one for under a G. If you gave me enough money, I might part with mine... I gotta Ibanez. Also, look at Ibanez Soundgears...slap well with active 'tronics ant they're relativly inexpensive.
  6. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Dean Edge Q5 tried a few & liked 1 [red] Played great, sounded great [to me]$510. Ibanez SDGR 705 i think is around $700 & feels good & sounds good to me the neck is kinda thin [front to back] but overall seems like a good one. Used StingRay 5 should be in your price range never tried one though. Fender RB 5 once again never tried it but have heard good things about it. Try alot & get the one or ones that feel the best. thats all
  7. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    get a cort curbow 5 string.. pretty tight basses, or a carvin.. ... or for only 1000 ill sell u a top*bottom* of the line best*worst* in its class ibanez sr305!! amazing bass for the price.. you get 2 crappy passive soap bars,, a dinky bridge and 4 of the 5 strings!! all for 4 small installments of only 245.90 !!!! must act now!! this is a one time only deal.. hehe no trust me you dont want it.. it sucks... =oD
  8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Check out a Peavey Millennuim. They're like Peavey's version of a Lakland. Very nice :) .
  9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    You know, if you like a Modulus Quantum (i can see why!) you should be able to find a used one for under-around a grand. And, if you cant find that, you could opt for the Modulus Flea Bass...GREAT bass! VERY tight, 34" (the graphite makes the strings tight as hell!), and incredibly slappable.

Or, you could try the Ibanez BTB...dead silent pickups (doesnt have the output of the Modulus...but no other bass ive tried does), VERY tight b, and very good sounding...its a very misunderstood bass.

There are lots of choices, but those would be mine, especially if you plan to slap.
  10. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    One of the most versatile and inexpesive basses I have seen is the Ibanez ATK. MusicMan sound --> You got it(For Slapping)
    There is an auction for an Ibanez ATK305 5 String at Ebay.

I would highly recommend any Music Man Stingray5. And if you have $1000 thats the way to go.

If you want a NEW, and made TO-YOU bass, get a Carvin Bunny Brunel 5 String. Those are awesome, versatile and great basses.(Be sure to get it with the Bridge Humbucker, and a nice Tung Oil neck.)

11. biscuit

Mar 6, 2000
    Virginia, USA
    Thank you for all the replies. Some of these basses I never would have considered if you hadn't recommended them. I will have to check them out.

Any one else have a recommendation?
  12. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You can probably find a G&L 2500 new for less than a grand. They retail for a lot more but are often discounted. Buffalo Bros. in Carlsbad, CA (buffalobrosguitars.com) will certainly sell you a new one for less than a grand. It's a GREAT 5 string, too. Fantastic variety of sounds and made like a tank.
  13. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I've been pretty happy with my Carvin LB75, which I've had for a couple years. Got it for under $900, including custom color, case and shipping!
  14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    You like graphite necks (Modulus)? You want a 35" scale length? You like to slap? Your budget is under $1K?

Here's your bass: http://www.peavey.com

Click on Products, then find the link to the G V bass; 35" scale length, graphite neck, active p/u's and electronics. It's a great playing slap monster, I've been fighting the GAS over it for a year now, and the Millineum is having a very similar effect on me as well. :D
  15. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Peavey G Bass looks like a great bass, excellent value, and of course.. Bass player mag always does good reviews of their products.
    But I have heard that in the Cirrus line, the craftmanship was very inconsistent, and this could apply to the G Bass as well.
    Peavey has made itself not a really "top name" in this time.

You know, If Peavey would create a new "Brand name" for their cabinets (the TX series) those would sell like hell!!
    Also for the basses.

Before buying a Peavey, I would be checking Ebay.
    I have found LOTS of great basses at incredible prices.
    Just take a look.
  16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Urk?!?! :confused: I keep hearing this stuff about the "inconsistency" of the Cirrus basses...I've played at least 10-12 of them, and they've ALL been perfect. Same with the G basses, nary a hiccup in the ones I've played. If I didn't already have 2 incredible neck-thru 6's, I'd be at the nearest Peavey dealer RIGHT NOW ordering a pair. As I already do have those, my next basses will be a pair of bolt-on 5's, and the Peavey Millinneum is the leading contender so far (I'll be de-fretting one). Sounds to me like a bit of "brand-name prejudice" still lingering from when Peavey DID deserve their bad rap.

Oh yeah, who cares what name is on the cabs/amps? If they sound good, people should just use them. I despise "gear snobs" that act superior around me because I have a Peavey head and a pair of 210txf cabs :rolleyes:. I also usually have better tone than they do, and spent a LOT less getting it :p.
  17. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I love the 410TXF that Peavey Makes. I just cannot buy one in Ecuador, so i got an Ampeg.

Are you a Peavey dealer or something??

I still think that the Only Peavey that really kicks ass is the B-Quad.
    Havent played the Cirrus to say the truth, Im just repeating what I read about em.

(I spotted a Blue 4 string at .. some place,, and maybe gonna buy it.)
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You'll have a hard time beating the Fender Roscoe Beck, given your parameters. I'd also suggest the Fender American Deluxe Jazz V. Very versatile.
  19. And AGAIN I will second the RB5; it's a GREAT bass! Pure genius!

I will NOT be ignored!!! :D :D :D
  20. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Fenders must DIE!!!