Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a good Amp/Combo

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by GroovyJazz, Dec 25, 2001.

1. GroovyJazz

GroovyJazz

Dec 1, 2001
    Rochester NY
    Ok, I need a new amp for my DB. I have a 100 watt fender bassman and it sounds way too trebley and the feedback is horrible. I need an amp with a really good sound. Something that will sound like a real DB. Ive looked at the Contra.... a Gallen-Kreuger combo. Im looking at at least 300 watts. I play Jazz and Funk/latin stuff. And i use a Fishman B1 pickup. Im thinking of changing that also. Im looking at something around 800-900$. And not too big. Thanks alot.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    May I suggest that your problem may only be that you don't use an impedance matching preamp between your Fishman and amp?
    The very high impedance of the Fishman (and all piezo pickups in general) needs a very high amp input impedance. (1 Mohms or higher)
    If the amp doesn't meet that requirement (and most amps don't) the pickup is loaded and that gives a thin, trebley tone.
    I suggest you try a preamp such as the Fishman, Baggs, K&K, etc. before you buy another amp/combo.

Hope this helps.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Or, you could buy the Contra, and then you wouldn't need the preamp, since it is designed to match the impedance of your bass pickup. I've done it this way for a couple of years, and it works great.