1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need a good amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RadioMasterDude, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Well, I've been looking for a good amp, one that's around $250, but I don't really know how many watts I should get it at. I'm the bassist at a jazz ensemble, there's brass, woodwinds, drums, guitar, and of course, bass. My amp right now sucks, it's a 15 watt Washburn WA15, it can be heard pretty well, but the problem is that I have to put it at full volume for it to be heard, but it gets this very dry distortion (not really that well sounding, either).

Any suggestions for a new amp and how many watts it should be at? (can't be that heavy).

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Some questions for you:

1) Do y'all normally have access to a PA system? If so, can you send a signal to the PA?
    2) What size of venues do you normally play?

For $250, you might be able to find something decent used. I don't know Mexico City all that well, however I'd assume a city of 20 million should have some decent music stores.

Keep in mind that Bass amps are heavy. Anything over 100 watts is going to run you a minimum of 50 lbs, if not more. Anything less than 100 watts will also likely be underpowered, especially if you don't use a PA.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'll just +1 all that.