Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a good challenging song.....

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Guss, May 31, 2004.

1. im so frustrated with the bass. i need something to challenge me. The most difficult song i've mastered is "opus pocus", so im looking for a step up from that. i know its hard to define but any help would be appreciated. no slap songs please. ewwww, slap
    :D

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    "My Girl," The Temptations.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    :(

"Kiss" By Prince

6. He's not joking is he? is motown ever hard? im really completely ignorant. it could be i guess. i never really listened to the bass in motown records.

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    While the specific song I mentioned is regarded as relatively "easy" I posted in a sort of tongue-in-cheek way. You see, I feel strongly that sometimes it's important to move away from fretboard pyrotechnics and be sure that we have a mastery of more subtle basslines. "My Girl", to me, represents a bassline that does not contain many notes, nor much movement across the neck, yet still is such a major part of the song, that it still presents a challenge. Think Zen. The bassline reinforces a feel for strong rhythm and time, listening to chordal instruments, strings, melody and harmony vocalists, and is a classic.

Further, James Jamerson was the bassist for a great bulk of Motown's "classic" period, up until 1973. His work is widely regarded as the foundation for much popular music that has followed. Essentially every accomplished bassplayer, every bassplayer worthy of mention in the recording industry, acknowledges Jamerson's genius and influence. Also, his work is considered virtuoso. His basslines present different challenges in different songs: strong sense of rhythm, big ears, syncopation, speed and dexterity, strong sense of harmony, and much more.

You would do yourself a favor, a great favor, a favor that might very well change how you look at and hear bass, by checking out his body of work. This can be most easily done by checking out the book, "Standing in the Shadows of Motown," by Alan "Dr. Licks" Slutsky, with the two accompanying CDs. While yes, you can find this at amazon, support your local bookseller and ask them to order it for you.

You'll thank me, and more importantly, James.

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    White Summer by Led Zeppelin

Pretty difficult

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    +1

10. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.

Yes. Just yes.

11. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    ::cough:: hypocrite ::cough:: :p

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    If you can't beat 'em...join 'em.

or mock them. ;)

13. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Damn J-Man, you have such a way with words. Im going to go play "Aint No Mountain High Enough". Well done Jazzbo, Well done.

14. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    :D

15. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Wait...not supposed to do those either. Damn!

16. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Children of the Damned-Iron Maiden. :bassist:

Still havn't mastered that as of yet. :oops:

17. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Word. ++++1

18. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    Stepping away from the simple foundation style of playing (which I happen to agree with), if you're looking for fast finger work, Rush has a couple of instrumentals that are pretty fun on the challenging side: Yyz and La Villa Stringiato. The bass solos are more fills than anything else, but there's a high energy level to these tunes that makes me proud to be a basser.

19. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Learn the whole Que Alegria album by John McLaughlin Trio

20. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Has anybody said Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple or Twilight Zone by Golden Earring (or was it Rainbow)

Also try I'll Be Here A While by 311