I need a good Flatwound 5 Set. Help!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by EricTheEZ1, Jan 13, 2005.

1. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I just bought my first fretless bass on Ebay (here). I couldn't help myself. I love the look and feel of an MTD/Tobias bass. It seemed like a pretty good deal with the Buzz Feiten system and all that jazz.

Here's the thing: Finding a good 5 string set isn't super easy around me, but finding ANY 5 string flatwound sets has been impossible. I would prefer to stay with the same guage (50-110) except with a Low B as well (obviously). I use DRs normally, but I didn't see any 5 string flats.

I need them to have a long life, moderate-to-low price tag, and a nice rounded tone. Lay some knowledge on me.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  3. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    TI Jazz Flats or D'Addario Chromes. Chromes are cheaper.
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    you want roundwound tone in a flat string?

D'Addario XL Half Round (nickel groundwounds)
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Lakland Joe Osbourne sig flats are very nice.
  6. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Labella tapewounds. They are roundwound under the tape. Really smooth, comfortable feel, great tone.
  7. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I think the Flatwound D'Adarrios might be the way to go. I haven't ever heard a BASS with D's though. Only on guitar. If the flatwounds are good, I might just go with those.

EDIT: They don't seem to offer a Flatwound 5 set. The Joe Osborns are the closest I can find to what I want. The only problem is the price tag, but flatwounds not only last a lot longer than rounds, but I'd rather have a smooth (some call it dead) sound.

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Im pretty sure Labella will make you a custom set of Deep Talkin Flats with a tapered B string. The guys at LaBella are awesome!
  9. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Another vote for the TI JF345. They are the best flats I have found for my SR5's.
  10. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
  11. fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    If you want long scale 35" strings, flats, round or semi then I can recommend

These strings acually fit and are good quality
  12. fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    correction---- actually
  13. ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    D'Addario does offer a 5 string set of Chromes. I actually have a set of them in my bedroom right now - just deciding what to put them on.

14. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I've been usind sadowsky flats for a couple of weeks on my kingston five-the b just fits. They are amazing! The best I've tried, after trying d'addario, ghs, and TIs.