1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need a great sounding really small filter/auto-wah pedal!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by harry manback, Apr 28, 2010.

1. harry manback

harry manback

Jul 19, 2005
    I need a great sounding really small filter/auto-wah pedal for my pt mini board (sorry don't have any pics). I have an small but ugly empty space above my mastotron. Help mE!!! :help::hyper::bassist:

2. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
  3. harry manback

harry manback

Jul 19, 2005
    thanks agent! any other options?

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    EBS BassIQ

Menatone Mail Bomb

Maxon AF-9

All small and funky filters.

5. wolf7883

wolf7883

Jul 22, 2009
    Naples FL
    Digitech Bass synth wah---2 different autowahs and some cool synthy sounds... I use one often

6. The Boomstick Bottom Feeder is a great pedal!

7. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  8. And, thanks to the Justin Chancellor Fan Boys, and the fact it's been discontinued, most elusive...

The Guyatone WR3 can be had for a reasonable price, and I think it compares favorably to the BR2...

9. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Jacques Trinity Wah. Smaller than a compact Boss pedal. Envelope filter, modulated auto wah, pedal wah (actually, it comes with a dome instead of a traditional expression pedal), and stuck wah all-in-one, and it sounds GREAT!

10. Bassed in NZ

Bassed in NZ ...in search of the impeccable groove...

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    +1 - great sounding, simple to use, small

11. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You know, I don't think anybody's posted clips of the Trinity yet. Could you do that, post up some recordings of the various settings? That would be well appreciated!

12. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Personally, I'd recommend against the Trinity for bass; I had one and returned it. The frequency range started too high even at the lowest setting, and then rushed right to the top of the range very fast, and as a result it wasn't very audible in envelope or wah mode (this was on a Stingray with nickel Lo Riders). I bet it'd be killer on gee-tar, though.

13. harry manback

harry manback

Jul 19, 2005
    wow! now i have some options to look for! haha... thanks ppl!!! :D

14. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Sorry, but I can't help but snicker at the idea of buying a pedal to fit an empty space on your board. That's like buying a painting to fit above your couch.

Please take this as lighthearted kidding, but maybe you need a bigger pedalboard.

15. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
  16. Like Double Agent and Gnasher mentioned, the MXR M82 and Boomstick Bottom Feeder (now the Mojo Hand Analogue 442 Red) are a couple quite small filters that sound great... I own both.

Just how small is the space you're trying to fill? As my 10th filter, the 3Leaf Groove Regulator is the best filter I've owned/played, hands down. It's ended my search for "The Perfect Filter" and definitely lives up to the hype. It's not TOO much bigger than the MXR or Boomstick/Mojo Hand... if you can fit it on your board, it's totally worth it. (I'm currently working up a full review/clips of the 3Leaf and a Filter Shootout :bassist:)

Here's my full list of filters (alphabetically) if you're interested in any info... but not all of them are small *cough* Barge *cough* lol

3Leaf Groove Regulator
    Ashdown Bass Envelope Plus
    Barge Concepts MB-1 Grinder
    Digitech Bass Synth Wah
    EHX Micro Q-Tron
    Ibanez AW7 Auto Wah
    Mojo Hand Analogue 442 Red
    MXR M188 Bass Auto Q
    MXR M82 Bass Envelope Filter
    Subdecay Prometheus

5sg.

17. Groove Regulator is nice: great sounds, plenty of versatility and I've got some nice fuzz wah with my Mastortron in the GR's effects loop. Not sure if it is quite small enough for your available real estate though; but it is probably one of the smallest to have so many sound options.

18. FilterFunk

Mar 31, 2010
    I actually sold it in favor of my vintage Multivox Big Jam Spit Wah, which I forgot to mention in this thread. It's slightly longer and wider than a compact Boss, and the vintage tone is SWEET!! Loved the Trinity's envelope filter, but just didn't need the other features. I play keyboard (wish I could play bass; I wanna be Bootsy SO bad!), and the Trinity did great with my bass tones.

19. FilterFunk

Mar 31, 2010
    I guess the response is different with synth keyboard than it is with bass guitar, but my Trinity worked great on my keyboard bass tones.

20. harry manback

harry manback

Jul 19, 2005
    i don't need a bigger pedalboard, i need a filter for the empty space left. :p

thanks for the recommendations, so far i like the m82, the subdecay & the 3 leaf... looking for some clips of the mojo hand...
    i went and reorganized the board so i have a bigger space like 4"x5". :D