Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a head high in Watts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by disturbedbass13, Aug 3, 2005.

1. I'm getting a 1200 peak watt 4x10" cab and a 500 (rms or peak, not sure) watt 1x15" next week.
    I'll have the potential for 1700 to 2200 watts pumping through them.
    I'm looking for an all-around head, that'll let me slap/pop, lay down smooth, and grind up some grunge.
    Any ideas for me?

2. power amp/preamp. QSC and Tech 21 RBI?????

3. spacecanoe

spacecanoe

Aug 6, 2002
    canaduh
    the mackie power amps are the best watts for the buck. hands down.. good warrenty and pretty good frequency response. youll get mixed reviews on them but hey check em out. other than the the tech 21 power engine comes in mono 300 wat blocks i beleive and there not super pricy so you could probably work out a system with those but thats alot of bi amping and wiring. you could easliy get 2 mackie 1200 watts for about 1600$ maybe less maybe a lil more.

let me know how it goes!

4. thanks, i'll look into it

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Ummm, because it's peak 1200 watts, doesn't really mean you want to run 1200 watts into it.
    You'd be fine with a 800-1200 watt amp. Maybe Kustom groove?

6. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    How about a Carvin B1500. 700 watts into eight ohms, 1250watts into four ohms and 1900 watts into two ohms. These babies have a foolproof control layout, too. Good luck.

7. You dont need cabs with the same power rating as your amp you know . . .

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    +1. This is a great amp--powerful, well built, and good sounding.

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I switched to a separate preamp/power amp setup years ago because I wanted plenty of power in reserve and headroom to handle ANY situation, no matter how unusual. With my QSC 3002, I can have plenty of power at my fingertips regardless of which of many different cabinet configurations and impedances I might use.

I was never really happy with headroom with ANY "regular" powered bass head I used, even though they were VERY powerful, i.e. GK 2000RB. I've yet to see any production bass head rated 2000 watts into anything other than super-low impedances. The Carvin 1500 head discussed above is as close as you get to such high power, but it is just essentially a Carvin DCM1500 power amp with their bass preamp board added.

10. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

+1

Thats what I'm looking to get soon along with some avatar cabs with the new 12 db crossover.

11. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    [​IMG]
    Genz Benz GBE 1200 This head is a beast with tons of tone- very versatile. I think it allows you to run full power at either 4 or 2 ohms. I was going to buy one...but something else came up.

12. yes, but with all that potential power, how can you leave it unused? :p

13. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Kustom Groove Bass head. 1200 watts, KILLER tone, all steel chasis and stainless front, tons of headroom, comes with a footswitch and free HEAVY DUTY Neutrik cable, all for about $500...

[​IMG]

14. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm with Quadzilla on this one.....this is a MONSTER head!!! Plenty of clean tone, and enough sonic power to peel paint. To top it all off, the price to benefit ratio is ridiculous!!! You'll have plenty of cash left over to buy some other goodies that you might be gassin' for :hyper:

15. looking at the Cabs, and the variety of amps, what are some versatile 1100 or 1200 watt heads/power amps?

also, my cabs have 8 ohm speakers in them. anything i need to know about that? I don't have much experience with speaker setups. :bassist:

16. This or this , depending on whether you think the portablility is worth the extra dough and your choice of preamp. Ive had a lower power QSC (RMX 850). for a while now and its been great and they still have the 6 year warranty thing going on

Ill let others give some more suggestions as Ive only had experience with one pre and it doesnt really do the grunge thing that well (At least as far as I can tell).

Now when you say 8 ohms, do you mean each individual speaker or each cabinet, big difference here. It good to know so you dont fry an amp.

EDIT: Just reread the original post and I highly doubt you have a 2 ohm 4x10, so you shouldnt have to worry too much about that.

17. exactly why i brought it up.

one cab is a 1x15", which has an 8 ohm 15".

the other cab is a 4x10" which has 4 speakers at 8 ohms each.

18. Well, depending on how its wired, you could have a 2 ohm cab wired parallel or a 8 ohm cab wired parallel/series. My guess is the latter, as off the top of my head, I cant remember ever seeing a 2 ohm 4x10.

19. okay, i looked it up and it says this:

"dual air sealed ¼” connectors that are wired in parallel so you can daisy chain to another bass cabinet."

" Specs
    * RMS power handling----- 600 watts
    * Peak power handling----- 1200 watts
    * Ohms----- 8
    * Frequency Response----- 40-15,000hz
    * Sensitivity----- 96db
    * Tuning Frequency----- 40HZ using a 4x5 port tube.
    * Measurements----- 25 tall x 25 wide x 14 deep
    * Packed weight----- 80LBS
    * Dry weight----- 75LBS "