i need a head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flanken, Jun 25, 2001.

1. I have an ampeg 4x10 cabinet and I don't have a head for it.. In the next few days I'll be going to Mars and Guitar Center to look around, but right now I have no idea what to even look for. Anyone have any suggestions as to what is good? Should I just stick with Ampeg and get an Ampeg head? Feel free to respond to this or e-mail me back with any answers. Thanks!

Brian ||||
  2. ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    There's a lot of great amps to choose from, it's just a matter of what sound you're looking for. My current preference is Eden. Combined with my bass & cab, I can get from clean hi-fi sound to funky slappish tone to a growly rock tone. I've played through a Mesa-Boogie Bass 400+ head through an Ampeg 8x10. Great rock sounds, I thought, cleans up pretty well but I couldn't dial in any hi-fi. Then there was an old beat-up Ampeg all-tube head which could get even more aggressive sounding than the Mesa. But it wasn't very versatile tone wise. With my current bass & cab, I tried out an Ashdown ABM-500. It had some pretty cool features like grit (overdrive type deal) & some sub-octave like harmonizer. It had an old-school, retro-ish sound but with better tone shaping. But again, I couldn't dial in that slick hi-fi. Another popular choice is Carvin. I haven't really played enough through one, but some here swear by them.
  3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    What model Is it?
    If its an SVT410HE I highly recommend the Ampeg 350H Classic.
    Its a solid state head and its not expensive.
    They sound great when put together.

Ampeg cabs sound best with Ampeg Heads, because of the EQ tunning.
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    You really can't go wrong with an Ampeg head. They have a great sound, plenty of headroom and you can drop them from a moving truck and they'll keep going. I played an SVT 200T at about 300 shows and twice that many practices and it never missed a beat.

I have a Carvin R600, it's OK, that's all I can say about it. It is very servicable, but I wouldn't buy another one.