Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a helpful opinion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by akajuve400g, Jul 28, 2002.

1. akajuve400g

akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Louisiana
    I am kinda in a bind. I want to buy a bass in August but I am trying to figure out what I want to do. I was thinking of getting a czech spector 5 string, but there is no guitar shop that sells them in my area even though I got a pretty good deal on one from bass central. I don't know how they sound, feel, and play. I was also thinking of a stingray. I really just think of stingrays as a slap toy, they aren't the best when I play fingerstyle. I am going into guitar center in a few weeks and they don't sell spectors. They said they have pedullas, zons, and modulus. What do you think I should do?

2. Well, buying a bass sight unseen, sound unheard, and feel unfelt is a risky thing for sure. I bought a Czech 5-string from BC around Xmas 2001, and it just really wasn't my style at all -- I'm currently in the process of selling it. It's important to note, however, that this is in no way a knock on Spector basses. I wasn't crazy about the tone, weight, or feel. Everything but the weight is very, very subjective, and even the weight doesn't bother some people.

Did this necessarily stop me from buying basses without first trying them out? Heck no! I've always said that I'm a young man with more dollars than sense in that regard.

Before the Spector I bought a G&L and Stingray (both 5s) under similar circumstances. The G&L is a keeper (for now), but the Stingray is on its way out strictly because it's not really my style. After the Spector I got a Warwick Streamer LX 6 fretless and a Zon 5-string fretless, again without even having a chance to play them. The Warwick didn't work at all with my admittedly shoddy technique, and it now belongs to TB's very own Chasarms who I gather likes it quite a bit. The Zon? A keeper!

If you want 100% certainty that a bass is right for you, you've simply got to play it through your own amp setup. When you're in a situation, like I am, where there are absolutely no high-quality music stores around you, trying stuff out is difficult. Just visiting a Guitar Center here involves me making a trek most of the way across my state.

So has this shifting of basses taught me anything? Again, not really. I've got the financial freedom to make some mistakes and buy some basses that I'll eventually take losses on when I sell them. If you don't have this kind of freedom, I would highly suggest that you not buy something unless you've tried it out first.

But I'm certainly not the highest authority when it comes to this stuff. To borrow from gear junky Brad Johnson, "As always, I could be wrong."

P.S. and Warning: I didn't have time to proofread, so excuse any spelling, grammar, or usage errors. Also, this post may constitute a hazard to those with short attention spans. You've been warned.

3. akajuve400g

akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Louisiana
    well...thanx. I think I am just gonna go to guitar center in New Orleans (5 hour drive) and If I don't like what I play I might just get the spector and ask bass central if I can return it if I don't like it. But I really only have about 2 grand to work with and I really don't want to spend more than 1500. But as of this moment I probably would go for either the ns2000/5 holoflash or the czech 5 string. But I might have my mind changed if I can find a good sounnding bass for a good deal. I need something to back up/replace my corvette std cause it really doesn't have the versatility I want.

4. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    The Czech is a much better instrument then the Korean made ones. Often Musicians Enemy (musiciansfriend.com) has decent deals on them. The Czech 5 plays great...is neck through, and has EMG electronics (if you like the sound of real EMG's with EMG preamps.) The one I got from Musician's Friend was one of the few basses that I have ever gotten that came out of the factory box perfectly set up! Really quite amazing.

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Great basses. The Czech is a wonderful bass. the only negative point is the weight. Czech Spector are HeavY!!