1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

i need a keyboard for college

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jonathan_matos5, Aug 20, 2007.

1. something to learn on.(needs to have 88 weighted keys) i think my budget is gonna be less than $1000 but i haven't received my financial aid check to know the exact number. i wont be carting the thing around too much. it is mainly so i can practice at home and not have to stay on campus all day everyday, those practice rooms are small and i dont like them:(

they have me using this book in class
    [​IMG]

can you guys recommend any supplemental material to practice on the side ?

thanks
    JM5

2. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Yamaha P70. Cheapest weighted full sized I know of... goes for $550.

3. !Rob!

!Rob!

Mar 2, 2007
    Korg SP200...got mine for $870cdn (plus taxes)

Awesome feel (like a grand - real hammer simulation)

Sounds awesome - great features - optional pedal with "half pedaling"

go research

need more info, feel free to ask

4. This class is my first venture into playing piano. I don't know what to look for and all I was told was to get a full sized 88 key keyboard with weighted keys. Once I have it in its place its not gonna move because I have access to other keyboads. the main thing I'm looking for is a passable piano sound.

5. !Rob!

!Rob!

Mar 2, 2007
    The SP200 weighs a ton, so if it's not gonna move, that's a good thing.

I checked out everything below $3000, and fell in love with this one. I am an ARCT trained classical pianist also, so the "feel" was crucial for me as well, I am really picky about piano sounds, this one blew everything else away IMO, and is good enough to record albums and tour with. Has some very interesting options like 3 settings of historic temperment. I bought a stand and bench set for $99 "radio shack".

Would you like me to email you a sample mp3?

PS, I have students who own the Yamaha (they sell em at Costco for $599), and they drool over mine. The Yam just doesn't feel or sound "real" IMO

6. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    We were looking for a FULL SIZE one as well for use at home and in the high school jazz band. My sister(Music prof at a college) suggested the Yamaha DGX 505 at the time as she suggests it to her students as a dorm piano. It is now discontinued(?)
    http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA...150%26CTID%3D205200%26CNTYP%3DPRODUCT,00.html

The one we have has been doing time day in and day out for a couple of years(including concerts, football game half time shows, etc). You may want to ask Yamaha directly what they "replaced" it with. Price-wise and feature-wise, it appears to be the 520:
    http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-DGX520-Digital-Weighted-Hammer/dp/B000GAOSUC

ALSO: Get a case or a well-padded gigbag(our choice). A thick gig-bag beats the heck out of an ATA case....or the Yamaha cardboard box....unless you're flying a lot.

7. BetterBottomEnd

BetterBottomEnd <- Not me I just like looking at her

Jan 9, 2007
    Cable Wi
    I love my Casio Privia Px310 nice lightweight, lots of patches, good weighted action, and decent MIDI capability. They go for $600 new the Px300 is a bit cheaper and as far as I know the only difference is the weight.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If it were me, I'd go with a Yamaha something like this. Yamaha has a great reputation for their stage pianos.

9. +1. A few months back I got a Motif XS8... I'm now convinced that Yamaha has the best acoustic sounds and also some of the best keyboard feel.

I've heard good things about both the P70 and the CP33. But you might want to do yourself a favor and go for the CP33, since it's got more room to grow in.

Also be sure to play on a real piano every once in a while, even if it's one of the crappy practice room pianos (believe me, I have to practice on those all the time)... there's just something about the acoustic sound and real piano action.

10. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
    Check out a Kurzweil SP88x or an Alesis QS8.2. Another option is a 2nd hand Alesis QS8 / 8.1. The older QS series is built like a tank. All of these have the best weighted action and absolutely great acoustic piano samples. I have the QS8 and couldn't be happier. Be cautious of some of the "lightly weighted or semi weighted" keyboards, they don't have a real piano feel.

John

11. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Not sure I'd agree on the piano sound quality of the Alesis QS series. I'm a classically trained pianist and got so frustrated with the sound of my QS7 that I use a Kurzweil MicroEnsemble sound module just for better acoustic piano sounds. The organ and synth sounds are awesome though! I do agree on the great build quality of the original QS series, haven't had a problem with mine and it gets carted around almost every weekend.

12. im gonna do some footwork today and shop around to get a feel for what things play, sound and feel like. im also gonna look at price tags because no sense spending way too much on something that will probably get replaced in the future by a real piano, when i have the money and the space.