I need a list of cars that a bass will fit in.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hateater, Dec 20, 2005.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Simple as that. My parents are willing to drop up to 9 Gs on something for me. I have delt with my 92 explorer for long enough, it is finally dying on me. So, what will I be able to find USED for up to 9,000 bucks that will fit a 3/4 size upright bass?
  2. If you're willing to stick with the SUV's, I know the GMC Jimmy is a damn nice truck. A friend of mine had one (a 97 I think). It's roomy and comfortable but not huge and it should be right around that price range, probably less. Nowadays, it might be a bit much on the gas though. Maybe look into something like that with a 6 cylinder engine instead of the usual V8 that comes in most trucks.
    Another thing that comes to mind is the new Dodge Magnum. It's basically a station wagon with a hemi. Definitely big enough to fit the bass, but it might be too much money.
    If none of those work out, just get an old station wagon. Wood-paneled is the way to go!
  3. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

What I was thinking was more along the lines of a newer SUV (late 90's) in good condition used that will get DECENT gas mileage. The Jimmy seems like a good SUV to look at. I also looked at an older Subaru legacy station wagon that seemed to look pretty nice... Thanks!
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Toyota highlander?
  5. bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    go with the honda accord coupe, great gas mileage cool looks and the back seat folds down so you can slide the bass in the trunk all the way into the back seat. works for me.
  6. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    A DB?
  7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i don't think he saw that part of it.

as for a car. you can get a lot for 9 grand. pretty much any bigger suv will do.
  8. I drive a Honda CRV, I had no problems hauling my DB, a couple suitcases, boxes of books and my fiance across the country for school. It only uses about 25% more gas then the toyota corolla I had before, which also fit a DB but you couldn't get much else in.
  9. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    You can buy used explorers all day for well under $9...I got a '98 w/53k mi in great condition for $6,000. No problems fitting gear in there, as you already know.

...now gas mileage is another issue. :(
  10. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    My DB and 115 combo amp fit inside my 1995 Mercury Cougar, which I understand is available for less than 4k these days. No room for passengers, although you could fit several in the trunk if they were willing :)
  11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
  12. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    I can get a few basses in my Mini (old style).

(not DBs)
  13. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Friend of mine swears by his Toyota Matrix. I throw mine in the back of my El Camino and strap it down.
  14. I use a '93 Toyota Carolla. It get around 39 mi/g in optimum conditions on long trips and about 28 on short runs. (Seats folded down) It easily contains my 3/4 size DB, my BG (with a big case), my amphead and my cabinet. It then has more room on top for lighter instruments and such, and I don't even use my passenger seat.

I used to use a honda civic to haul my stuff. It was a little trickier, but it still worked. I think if you really care about the comfort (unbumpiness) of the basses, along with gas mileage and overall comfort for yourself, I would go the station wagon route.

*edit* Volkswagon vans are pretty handy too, but they are annoying to drive.
  15. The comment someone made about a SUV with good gas mileage made me laugh. ;) My wifes "mid sized SUV" gets about 17mpg highway...with the wind in the right direction, and the tires rock hard, drafting semi trucks, and also between 68 and 72 degrees outside temp. :D (no joke)

Although I've never hauled a DB in my wagon, I'm sure you could fit it plus other gear to boot.

Volkswagen Passat wagon.

Also, if you're not too cool for your own good, a dodge mini-van works wonders. take out some seats, move some around. They fit a bunch, drive well in the winter (Michigan here) and arent too bad on gas (25ish highway)
  16. A friend uses his Prius to move his DB and has included me and a dobro at the same time. When I saw the topic I was thinking electric bass and I was going to tell you that I got Fender JB into a Mercedes Smart while I was in Switzerland a few years ago. But I don't think a Smart is quite big enough for a DB. :crying:
    Also, if you are looking for decent gas mileage, forget about the SUV. They are fat, inefficient station wagons. Get a Suburu wagon and get 28 mpg or an Accord or Camry and get 30 to 32mpg. Hey I got my driver's licence in '62 in an IH, grew up using real Jeeps and trucks all my life. Still have an F250 with a 460 for chores like hauling hay, horses and cattle. The only people who have SUVs are suburban wannabes. You're better off with a car, they cost less to buy, to maintain and to put gas in. And I spent 20 years as a ski patroller, you can handle snow covered roads lots better in a FWD car than any SUV.
  17. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    To reiterate what some have said, in response to the SUV suggestions etc, a DB fits in almost any vehicle with some careful placement. I've loaded my (and other) DB(s) in and out of some really tiny cars, and regularly in my father's Acura TL.

It's really not as big as you think it is when you work at fitting it into the cars, and for 9K, you'll get a lot more car than SUV. Most of the mid sized sedans will be very comfortable.
  18. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Well, I dont want to have to fold down a passenger seat to get the damn thing to fit. I would like to have a SUV because it fits the bass, and there is still seating. No one ****ing drives up here, so i am always giving people rides, and I always have my bass.
  19. If you were in Europe and needed something to haul stuff in, get a used volvo station, they have huge cargo space
  20. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    +1 on station wagon

+1000 on the minivan.

I used to drive my mom's odyssey, and as long as you have a warped sense of humor and make the most of driving a mini van with doors that automatically open, it's awesome. But the lease went up and it was unbelievably expensive to buy. Go with the dodge, put rims on it.

The drug dealers in Washington Square park did it, you can too.