1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need a little encouragement. Dimarzio PJ set on a Warwick.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nuno.ka, Jun 30, 2007.

1. nuno.ka

nuno.ka

Feb 11, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Hi there, I've been thinking of modding the pickups on my bass for ages, I just need someone in the know to tell me I won't regret it.
    I have a passive Warwick Fortress One all wenge neck which plays like butter, I love it but I'm not crazy about the MEC pickups.
    It already has 500k pots, how do you think it would sound with the Dimarzio DP-126 PJ set? I like warm, growly sound with plenty of mids and they're within my budget.
    Would these pups awaken all the hidden potential in the bass? Are they really a lot better than the MECs?
    [​IMG]

Thanks

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

See FAQ the Bass Mod link in the first paragraph of Dimento's Trouble Shooting Guide. It's a pretty regret-free process.

I don't recall regretting any bass modification but I'm not one to regret much of anything.

Lot's of previous posts on this. Seems issue is with the MEC pre not pups. I've never had the pups so don't know. I had an MEC harness but I can't remember if it was a pre or not cause it had some freak pots I wasn't going to chop my bass up for at the time. It came with EMG active PJ's. Those I like. I like DM model J's too so a Model PJ would be doable for me.

Ah hah. Thought of one. I do regret defretting the neck of a bass that it turns out I preferred to have fretted. Fairly early on in my bass explorations. I misread (or it was misquoted) that a refret was $30. Well it's more like $300. Nothing that hung me up but I sure wouldn't do it if I had it to do again.

3. nuno.ka

nuno.ka

Feb 11, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    BTW - is it worth installing a series/parallel switch, wht would be the advantage?

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021