1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need a little guidance

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mattbass97, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    I LOVE the sound of brand new Dunlop bass strings 45-105 my favourite sound from a brand new set of them. One problem that sound doesn't last very long then it sounds like ****.

I'd really love to get that brand new dunlop tone. But have it actually last long!

I hate coated strings so that's out of the question haha. But id love to know what you guys would recommend me in the situation im in.

Thanks!

2. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    oceanside
    D'Addario EXL 165. Great tone, fairly durable, reasonably priced. Order them through bassstringsonline.com and let them know you are a TB member for VIP pricing.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    +1 for bassstringsonline.com

But I would go for DR Nickel LoRiders. They last forever.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Assuming you are using Nickel Plated Steel...

Both Dunlop AND D'Addario have TWIN PACKS in 45-105 gauges (2 sets of strings in one box) for a reduced rate. So if its in your budget to purchase two sets at a time, go for the twin packs and that will help you out!

5. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    He didn't say if he was referring to the Dunlop nickels or stainless steel.

6. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    99% of the strings found in B&M stores are NPS, the most popular sets are NPS (which is why they make twin packs), so unless someone says "Stainless" you almost have to assume NPS :-/

7. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I know nickels are more common, but if a store decides to carry Dunlops, I would guess they'd carry both nickel and stainless. Every music store around here carries stainless Rotosounds and DRs, and a lot of people who post here are not exactly "detail oriented" enough to notice if their strings are nickel or stainless, so I wouldn't assume.

8. monti2889

monti2889

Jul 19, 2012
    some tips I've heard but have never tried and get mixed "reviews" are....

Solder the ball end of the strings to prevent unwrapping of the winding at the bridge.
    Boil your strings to restore the new string sound.
    I'm sure there are other little tips and tricks that work for some and not others, but those are the 2 that stand out to me.
    I personally seem to keep going back to GHS boomers.

9. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Updated my post...

You are right you should not assume, but for sake of conversation I assumed. I can not get into specific details etc due to the forum CUP, I can only give more information about specific things talked about and EXL165 (NPS D'Addario) were brought up so I gave more detailed information about the two...

If I were asked something directly I would get into more specific details with the then be "customer."

10. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Just to clarify with everyone I was talking about nickel wound I used to use pro steels by daddario but found it gave off too much of a clank when I played and nickels have softened that for me and also have given me a fuller tone but the dunlops do dull down badly for me I'm going to pick up daddario nickel wound and give them a shot