1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need a little help please...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass Tees, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Bass Tees

Bass Tees

Feb 11, 2008
    Milwaukee
    I'm just about to buy a new amp. For as long as I've been playing bass, it's been mostly combo amps or rigs that were hand-me-downs I got for a great price.

Can anybody give me a quick crash course, or point me to a thread that explains what I need to know about wattage (for instance, what cab a I can use with what head)? I don't know anything about ohms or electronics and I've tried looking on Google and still can't seem to find an explanation for dumb people :confused:

The main reason I'm asking is because I have a decent 1 X 15 but I don't want to buy an amp head that is going do something evil to it, or vice versa.

2. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
  3. Bass Tees

Bass Tees

Feb 11, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Thanks man... that's was still a bit overwhelming but I don't feel totally lost anymore.

4. dont worry about the wattage matchup being PERFECT, it doesnt need to be. just try having more cab power handling than head wattage.

and be sure the cabs you buy have the correct impedance

5. Bass Tees

Bass Tees

Feb 11, 2008
    Milwaukee
    So let me see if I have this correct...

If my 15 has a 400 W peak handling power, I don't want to get a 450 W amp?

Sorry if this is dumb. Like I said, I'm new to all this.

6. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    You could pair a 100W 15" with a 1000W amp if you wanted.

The key is to only deliver the RMS value on average. Amps have a volume knob which lets you determine how much power they deliver.

In other words, if you begin to hear your speaker make weird noises, roll back the volume ;)