Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i need a little help..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pgnbstrd, Sep 29, 2002.

1. ALright here's my problem.
    I have two basses I use mainly.
    An active warwick corvette with stock mec pu/pream
    A Ernie Ball sterling, also stock
    I love the tone or my warwick, but it doesn't cut thru as well as the sterling. I'm told it's like night and day when I switch basses during a set. I have the eq's set identical on both basses. and have used the same strings.
    What can I do to get it to cut thru better?
    Currently i switched from lo riders to fat beams for a little more high end, but it's not really making that much of a difference.
    Should I try:
    New pups?
    new pre amp?
    or just deal?

Any advise, opinions, experiences, and or general ideas would be very helpfull..
    Thanks,
    Jeremy

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    right off the top of my head- i have always had a preferred bass- one that works better than others for almost everything- but i have several basses- - so, i sell what i dont use - everbass has a weakness and a forte- if you love your warwick- keep it arounnd for recording, whatever- but if your MM is doing the job better- why switch to teh warwick at all? because its there?? - its a tough call ,man- but i dont think trying to get your warwick to sound like your mm is the answer- use it as a spare or get another sterling.. my two cents..

3. I'm not really trying to get it to sound like my mm, i just would like it to cut thru a little better.
    I use it on a few songs where i have different tunnings( the warwick has a hipshot on it i use to tune up with) so I kind of need it for some songs. I'd just like to figure out how to get it to blaze a path thru two mesa boogies and a heavy handed( i know they all are) drummer

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    well, then- i might put an inexpensive eq between the warwick and the amp- one that you can swith on and off- like a boss 10 band or if you can affordit a fodera pre- i would get one with a mid control because you will need it to "cut thru"- good luck!!-

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If it's due to "a tuning thing" - a couple of other suggestions;

- Try out a SansAmp Bass Driver or an MXR M-80 and see if those do anything for you. They sure do for me (I compete with Marshalls, a Mesa, and a Soldano plus the ham-fisted drummer thing, too).

- Try out a decent chorus. I use an EBS not for the classic "ringing chime" of a heavy chorus. I just use enough to give my D and G more presence in the mix when not going through the mains.

6. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    You said that the EQ on both is set up identical. Often the same EQ settings don't work with different basses. Really fiddle with the EQ on the Warwick and on your amp (if you haven't already) before you go out and buy. Remember that a great solo tone doesn't necessarily cut through the mix that well.

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Rickbass - im puzzled.:confused:
    in my experience, chorusing reduces punch- if anything. Im not dogging you, im curious as to how you get more presence from chorusing.- maybe you use a slow seep? what are your setting on the unichorus?-

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    DanGouge, i will fully agree with you statement- time after time, what has sounded good soloed to me, sounds crappy in a mix - yet, when i solo a bass track that has been eq'd a nd mixed for the tune, it always sound muddier than my idea of a great sound- i subscribe to that 100%

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Great question, Adrian - the EBS, short of a studio chorus, is the only chorus which doesn't make my strings "wimp out."

Being totally analog, it makes the higher strings more "lush" (for lack of a better term). I went to a Special EFX concert and the bassist in the second-bill band was using such a chorus in a similar fashion.....not for the "echoing, sustaining" effect that's so typical of "thin" choruses like Boss. So, as you mention, it was more of a "seep" effect that wasn't at all "in-your-face."

I'm not technically educated enough to know if it was bringing out the partials. But, his strings had a ring that just seemed to sit in the seat next to everyone. After that, I became a believer.

The only drawback is that it only works well for me with heavier gauge strings, (e.g., .045-.130).