1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need a little more...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Simon Langley, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    I have worked long and hard to refine my bass amp into something that is portable and loud with a good full range sound. It has taken years but I have finally found a setup that I really like. Extremely portable and sounds perfect for me. I am currently using an Eden WT550 head with two D112XLT cabinets. My current dilemma is this:

I am finding that this setup is not keeping up with the two bands I am in currently in some situations. For some venues it gives me everything I need but in some cases lately it just hasn't been loud enough. My wife says she can hear it standing across the room but I can't hear it from 15 feet in front of it. In both cases my 212s are going up against 412s. In one band it is two loud guitars each with a 212 cabinet and the other band is a single guitar with a Marshall 412 half-stack. The guitars are killing it in a room with poor acoustics or in an outdoor situation.

I am considering adding another cabinet to supplement the lack of low end that I can hear in these situations. I was originally thinking of adding a single 15 inch Eden cab but I came across an SWR Big Ben 18 inch cab that is within reach. I have been reading good things about this cab and think that it may give me what I need. More power from the amp (when combined with the two 112 cabs), more moving air and more low end response. What do you think?

2. can the amp handle the IMPEDANCE of 3 cabs????? Or were U planning on only using ONE 12" cab? Otherwise apart from suggesting a all tube amp ;-) I'd simply suggest something like the BErgantino NV215(has a 6" hi driver) & is a VERY efficient cab. Or Schroeder cabs are supposedly LOUD cabs!!!!!!! Getting an ampwith a few more watts aint gonna help much, si thats what I';d suggest!!!! I found the same thing until I went back to an all tube rig. NOW I hear myself even if I'm quiet! -funny that!

3. other obvious thing would be to sell yr 2 1x12" cabs & buy 2 2x12" eden cabs!!!!! More spkr cone area = more volume!!!!!!!!!! Goodluck

4. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    I should have also included that I am working with about a $300-$500 budget. I don't want to get crazy. Whatever I add on isn't going to get used very often so I don't want to have a whole lot invested in it. I just need a little more kick in some situations and at some of our local venues. The SWR Big Ben I am looking at is $325 used. The amp can handle down to 2 ohms and as I understand from a previous thread I had here three 8 ohm cabs run parallel equals 2.6 ohms. I intend to use this as an add on, with both 112 cabs, to supplement my main rig.

5. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hi Simon,
    SWR cabs are great, so you can't go wrong with the Big Ben. But have you considered adding something like a 4x10? The 18" will help you be felt, but a 4x10 would help you be heard. If your wife can hear you from across the room, but you are having trouble hearing yourself on stage, you need more mids, not more bass. My 2 cents. Also, consider if there's a way to reposition your cabs on stage so you can hear yourself better. Maybe stand a bit farther from them, or angle them more towards your ears?

6. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    I know it kinda' goes against your budget, but I've been blown away with my Accu Groove Tri112. It's been all I need for any gig I've done. Two of them together are rediculous. If getting cabs like that aren't an option, you might try kicking your cab back so that it tilts towards your head....the good Lord didn't give us ears in our ankles:)
    You're cabs might be a little directional & pointing them towards your ears should help. You might try standing a little further out from your rig too. If I'm in a loud venue competing with Messa or Marshal stacks, I just have the sound guy turn me up in the monitors.

7. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    If you can be heard by the crowd, maybe you should just consider turning yourself up higher in the monitor mix. The Big Ben is a great cab, but that would pretty much trash your portability concept.

8. I play through an older Big ben 1 18 and two tens. I like the deep bottom end and surprising response out of the 18.