Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a Microphone

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by frankencow150, Dec 7, 2003.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Ok so I want a microphone under $80. I'm in a band and it'll be used for recording quick ideas on my computer and for band practice. I don't need anything top notch, so the cheaper the better, but still something that:

1)won't squeak
    2)won't sound fuzzy
    3)just generally sounds good
    4)will last long

What should I get?

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Save up another $10 and get a Shure SM57. Don't waste your money on anything else.

3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    or SM58

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Save another $20 and get an SM-58. Seriously. Sounds good (but not the best), bullet proof, industry standard.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    SM-58, it's worth the extra couple bucks, by far.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin

7. I know lots of working musicians who prefer the 57 over the 58... But be forewarned:

1) The 57 is less forgiving, if your mic etiquette isn't 'spot on'. If you back away from the 57, you lose gain and low end in a very big way.

2) The 57, because it has no pop filter, will drive you and your speakers, completely nuts with "P" pops. Unless you engage a hi-pass filter on your mixing desk. (this filter cuts out lows, typically everything below 75 to 100 hz.)

I have a veteran lead vocalist friend who just bought an EV ND767 and swears by it, but they appear to sell around $130.

Personally, in the $80 price: I dig the SM57.

If I were to spend a bit more jing, Audix OM5.

8. By the way, mics that are used continuously (gigging every weekend for years & years) eventually wear out.

A friend had an Audio Technica something or other that he preferred over anything he had ever used in his 20 years of performing... his beloved Audio Technica finally gave out after 13 years of hard use. Replaced it with an SM58 and seems happy.

Ohter friend who is a diehard SM57 user, gigged the daylights out of that mic for 15 years, finally had to replace it. Bought another SM57.

Good luck.

:)

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    They make a foam pop filter specifically for the 57.

[​IMG]

10. Munj:

I have that exact pop filter, and have put many vocal miles on my 57 with and without the filter.

With the filter: you lose a noticable bit of gain, you lose a noticable bit of low end, but no wind noise when performing outside and no P pop.

Without the filter: better gain, better low end, but wind noise and p-pops.

Since I own two of them, I also did a side by side comparison of the 57's - 1 with and 1 without the filter, speaking through a wedge monitor with all else being equal. The difference in gain and low end (filter vs. bare mic) is substantial. I think the thickness of the foam at the speaking surface should be thinner. I'm thinking of trying to trim the thickness of my filter (the piece of the foam between your mouth and the screen of the mic) such that it will not hurt gain and low end so much.

11. Funkee1

Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    The SM58 is a better vocal mike, though. They are about 99 bucks most places. If you can come up with 80, you can come up with $100.

12. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Search around, I got my SM58s for $80 new, you just have to look for sales.

13. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Interesting. You'd think you'd lose highs through the foam. As far as gain, that's why god gave us input gain pots on our boards.

14. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    Beta 57A. All the benefits of a SM57, with higher gain and a windscreen, for only a few dollars more.

15. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Thanks everyone so much for replying. One more question:

Anyone know of any sites that will have these two mic's for *cheaper than usual prices*? cuz my local music stores
    loves to beat online prices.

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Blimp I hope these singer friends of yours give the sound guy enough time to soundcheck and tune the foldback for their mics. I hate it when I set up the monitors for a 58 and the singer arrives 2 minutes before start time with someting completely different. Best case scenario is the EQ will sound like garbage, but usually you just gets lots of feedback. I've actually taken to making it feed deliberately straight away, then make it clear there will be feedback all night unless they use my 58. It's amazing how many of them promise they come early for a sound check next time but don't.

I use a 57 for my home recordings, but I use a pops filter screen that you could easily make up with a stocking and a wire coat hanger. It works fine. No gain drop and no pops :) And 57's make great guitar and snare drum mics.......

17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Riks Music

Might as well buy it there ... no tax.

18. didj

didj

Sep 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Just fyi, the sm57 is made for miking instruments or speakers, the sm58 for vocals. That's why the 58 has a pop filter and the 57 doesn't

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Actually, Shure touts the 57 as suitable for both instrument and vocal use. As I pictured above, the SM-57 has a special accessory pop filter if you crave one. It just turns out that people like to use the 57 for instrument mics.

Shure SM-57

20. This is a nice user guide from Shure that gives a few interesting tips on microphone use, most of which apply to the use of any microphone for live music application.