Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a mixer and I want suggestions

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by arther daily, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Right, I need a mixer to run into my PC soundcard to record... some live stuff, some not, some mic, some DI.

I want at least four outputs - to go into the card... so I can record a regular jam I attend live.

I'd like at least 4 line in - but I've got no idea about how many mic inputs I want? Chances are i wont be recording drums that much, but I'd like to be able to and get a decent enough sound quality.

I'll buy new or 2nd hand, I'm in the UK, and I dont want to spend more than £300 or £400.

Any suggestions, recommendations?

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    A Fostex VM04 would be a good choice in a budget digital four channel mixer. They were being blown out for $100 here stateside a few months back, so maybe a good deal can be found on your side of the pond.

Mine's not in front of me, but as I recall it has two mic/line inputs and two line only inputs. It does have SP/DIF out.

Good luck!

3. Well I did some surfing and foudn teh Mckie web site... their 4 channel and 6 channel mixers look good - from my limited - knowledge.

Any testimonials?

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Friend of mine has the sixteen, very nice quiet board, tough as nails. the six has the same pre-amps, but I'm not sure if the four does. In general I'm very impressed with the Mackie boards I've used, which have been quite a few altogether. I think the four falls well within the price range you mentioned.

5. outofstep

outofstep

Dec 5, 2001
    Sonoma, CA
    look into a behringer... seem to be pretty good boards... later. -matt

6. I just bought a SoundCraft. Spirit series mixer for exactly that purpose on Ebay. Less than 200 dollars. Lots of people love mackie. I like them but there market demand seems to be inflating their price. Beringer has a reputation of having "bad" mic pre amps but i think most of that is opinion and you certianly can't beat their price.

This link goes to a recording forum I found that helped me make my buy decisions.

Recording forum

7. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I have had terrific results using a small Mackie analog mixer hooked into my Fostex FD8 digital recorder (with the Fostex AD/DA converter). That gets 8 tracks of simultaneous recording. The final mix is done on NTrack and the CD burned on my PC.