1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need a musical instrument!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by wdinc01, Sep 30, 2006.

1. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    So yesterday I was at school walking to the band room when I see my friend Jeremy with this small guitar (it was a First Act her bought at Good Will for $6). He was telling me how he and Sean were performing people (Sean has a kazoo on him all the time, it seems) and they made like $5.

So basically, I'm trying to think of a cheap, small instrument to bring to school on Fridays when I have to march at football games so I can play around with it while we have free time. Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe something close to a bass?

I was thinking of a ukulele, but I dunno how well it would sound tuned to EADG. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As a bit of a uke player, EADG isn't quite comfortable.

Perhaps a mandolin or banjo?

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Harmonica?

4. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Skin Flute, meat horne.......no, no wait, scatch that :rollno:

5. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Well, maybe a mandolin. Banjos are more than I want to pay though, from what I see. And I thought about the harmonica, also a recorder, but both would require learning, and this is kinda something I wanna just be able to pull out and play half decently.

Do you have any advice for the ukulele? Like, something to remember so I can easily transpose guitar stuff into it?

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    In that case, just get a gameboy. They are still different instruments, and you'd have some kind of learning curve. If you don't want to actually learn them, but just play around, you might as well play around on a game boy.

7. How about a baritone ukelele? They're tuned like the four high strings of a guitar.

8. well, he could make more than 5 bucks that way:eek:

9. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Alright. You have a point. I can't wait to explain to my band teacher that the reason why I'm so insanely good on harmonica is because I havn't practiced my baritone like I should be.

Although can actually play single notes on a harmonica? Because it is seems like it's just a bunch of messy chords, which turns me off alittle (I'm probably wrong though).

10. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Don't know. But I've heard some pretty harmonica music before.

Although I suspect the name "harmonica" has a reason for it.

11. you can play single notes on a harmonica, it takes significant tounge controll

12. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Recorder or Penny Flute. Did you see that episode of Star Trek where Picard played the Penny Flute? Sounded pretty good. :) However, I like the idea of a uke tuned EADG, may have to try that.

13. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yeah I figured it would take alot of tongue control.

Extremely off-topic: I think because of salt and vinegar chips, the tip of my tongue cannot produce saliva

Back on topic: I thought "I know, I'll get a bass recorder so I can bring up the low end for this little traveling band dealy". Yeah, I cringed at the prices...

Isn't there a way to put heavy strings on a ukulele? Or is it just because the length of the instrument that EADG won't work out too well?

14. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Get a baritone uke. You can tune it EADG if you want, it's not that bad, However I would just learn to play it with the correct tuning. You could even get a soprano uke if you want something really small. Get a uke you will not regret it. Check out Jake Shimabukuro and James hill if you need some convincing. You can play anything on uke that you can play on guitar. Go for it.

15. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Alright. I'm convinced to get a ukulele. I mean, I know I could play things on it that I could play on guitar. I just figured that if I kept everything on the same tuning then there's no relearning of songs.

Now to find a baritone ukulele for cheap...

16. +1, uke gets my vote.

Watching Jake Shimabukuro perform is very motivating to pick up a uke. He's a pretty incredible player (saw him with the Flecktones).

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, a tin whistle. I have a whole slew of them. They come in every key.

18. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'm also thinking maybe a slide whistle. Hmm...

But I think right now I'm set on a ukulele. Hopefully I can find one somewhere close for not alot of money. Thanks for the advice everyone.

19. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Check out a Mandola, It's like a bass mandolin. Still has the nice chordal sound of a mandolin but since it's larger it has less of a piercing quality to it, more like a guitar.

20. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    What is your price range for the uke?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021