1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need a new 4 string for under $700. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassManMike73, Jan 12, 2012.

1. BassManMike73

BassManMike73

Apr 20, 2011
    Portage, MI
    I've decided that with my tax return I need a new bass, I've gotten into a new band recently, and need a change. I've gotten my top picks down to a few contenders. Here they are:
    Schector Stiletto custom 4 natural satin $550
    Warwick Streamer Standard base price $450
    Ibanez SR700 amber $700

What would your pick be? If you want an idea of what I'm playing now for an idea of the sound I'm looking for check the link in my signature. And if you have another pick that goes new for $700 and under, feel free to mention it! Again,new prices, NOT used.

2. After having played all 3, I would go:

1. Schector Stiletto
    2. Ibanez SR700
    3. Warwick Streamer (cheaper warwicks I would not buy but that's me)

Actually the first 2 are probably on par for me

3. BassManMike73

BassManMike73

Apr 20, 2011
    Portage, MI
    I'd never played a schector until I tried that stiletto at go a few days ago.i was BLOWN away with how it felt and sounded. How is it for durability and longevity?

4. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    G&L L2500 TRIBBY

5. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I wouldn't touch the Warwick Rockbass.

I think the other two are pretty good basses for the cash. Schecters have always impressed me.

6. I agree. I thought it felt so nice to play. I haven't owend one just played it so I couldn't say about durability and longevity but if you look up reviews you will find out.

7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I would get a used S.U.B, not on your list but great basses

8. BassManMike73

BassManMike73

Apr 20, 2011
    Portage, MI
    That looks interesting, any stores in the Midwest carry them that I could go try it at?

9. Ds1

Ds1 Commercial User

Dec 3, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
    Owner: Ish Guitars, Inc. Owner: Ish Case, Inc
    How about a Brubaker Brute? They have 2 available pickup combos - dual Jazz's OR a Musicman style humbucker and a jazz at the neck. I'm sure you could order one in 4 string, which are cheaper...

Heres a link: BJJX5-2B

10. Broadway Music on US Hwy 30, in Merrillville, In. Nelson, the owner is a great guy and easy to deal with. They're on line, so you can see what G&Ls they have in stock. Not a bad trip from Goshen, Toll road to 65, then west about 4 miles.

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    New Brutes sell for around $650 on Ebay...I think it's against the rules to link to an auction, so to go Ebay and search for Brubaker Brute.

Brubaker Brute or G&L L2000 is going to be tough to beat if you want new in that price range.

12. BassManMike73

BassManMike73

Apr 20, 2011
    Portage, MI
    The brutes I was looking at in that link look interesting. Same question though, is there somewhere I could try one out? I've had a lot of bad experiences lately with not being happy with things I order or buy from pictures.

13. voxtroller

voxtroller

Aug 20, 2011
    austin
    I've had my Stiletto for 6 years and it seems to be holding up pretty good. I never bought a hardcase for it and it goes into the trailer for every gig. I love how light the bass is and the neck is really comfortable. I got a really good deal on it from GC, $300 brand new.

14. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I used to have a Schecter and really liked it, built well and sounded good. However after listening to the music on your link I think a Stingray type bass would be the best fit from a sound and looks standpoint. The quality is top notch, the range of sounds you can get out of this bass is incredible and the looks just fit with the type of music in your link. Give one a try side by side at Guitar Center to see if you like it, I think you will.
    Here's a link to the Sterling Ray34 at Guitar Center...
    Sterling by Music Man Ray34 Electric Bass Guitar and more 4 String Electric Bass at GuitarCenter.com.

Stingray basses are great for slapping, finger and pic so they fit any style of playing very well.

15. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    i dont have the stiletto custom but i do have both the stiletto elite-5 and studio-5 and they have both held up very well. pretty solid basses, imho/ime.

16. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    How about a fender MIM, and take the leftover money to mod it? I personally dislike shecter basses, and rock basses are poorly made. The ibanez might be nice, but you should get something really sturdy and durable. The sterling ray 34 is an awesome bass. Are you looking to buy new or used?

17. BassManMike73

BassManMike73

Apr 20, 2011
    Portage, MI
    I actually have a musicman sterling 4h that I love. I'm not quite sure if it fits well with this band or not, gonna have to have a few more practices to see.

18. I'd also say go for the Schecter. I can't speak for the Stiletto as I've not played one, but I did love the Diamond P and Diamond J that I had. Giving serious thought to picking up another Diamond P.

19. BassManMike73

BassManMike73

Apr 20, 2011
    Portage, MI
    New. And I have a MIM jazz that I'm trying to sell now possibly.

20. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    :confused:Not sure about your neck of the woods but in WI we 5 G&L dealers I think.
    you could look on Ebay or here and find a USA model for about that $
    If you go to the G&L site they have a dealer locator page
    Good luck!:ninja:
    I have two USA 2500's one fretted one fretless.
    I have had both mod to give mecoil tapping it is sweet!
    Peave & Love:bassist: