Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i need a new 7 string set, BEADGCF

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    anyone have a recomendation?

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    sr2000's, gauged .135" - .107" - .078" - .055" - .035" - .030" - .027"

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    D'Addario also makes a Keith Roscoe Custom 7 set. What makes them different is that they're NOT tapercore. Contact Roscoe at roscoeguitars.com for info.

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm curious. what's the rationale for this?

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Dunno, JT. I'm guessing they're simply for those who don't like, for whatever reason, tapercore strings. I use 'em both, myself, depending on the bass.

7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago

umm... whaddya wanna sound like? Ya got frets? Play punk? T'row us a frickin' BONE, here, buddy...

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh. i just never heard of anybody who actually prefered tapers, all things being equal.

i mean, i know there are folks who prefer strings by manufacturers who happen to only make non-tapered strings, but i never thought that the reason they liked them was specifically because they were non-tapered.

does that make any sense (my last sentence there, i mean)?

9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    i play a varied styles, but mostly in the prog rock and jazz fusion vien. i have a fretted GT-7, and i play fingers (tried a pick on it, for a laugh.... haha)

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, I hear ya. Well, there is often a difference in feel (tension) between tapers and non-tapers. I prefer non-tapers on a Stingray 5, for instance. But I prefer tapers on my Smith 6, OTOH. Despite the obvious advantage in intonation with tapers, sometimes a bass just seems to "feel" better with non-taper strings. I remember the first time I put on a set on taper-core strings, I thought they felt sorta floppy when compared to the old non-tapers.

That D'Addario set just happens to sound really good on the Roscoe. The fact that they're not tapered may or may not have anything to do with it!

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hmm, interesting. thanks :)

12. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I currently have Elixirs on my fretted GT7 (and the fretless one, for that matter), and I am diggin' 'em. You have to buy a 5-string set plus a high C sold separately. Then I have a GHS Bass Boomer .020" roundwound for the high F. The high F strings are pretty cheap (like four bucks each) so I plan to change them every once in a while; the next one to get auditioned is a Ken Smith .020" nickel-plated roundwound. The thin ones seem to go dead less frequently; still not as good as the Elixirs, of course, which last forever. I did try a D'Addario XL PLAIN (unwound) .020", but that sucker actually cut my fingertip on a long slide!

All strings mentioned are available online at www.juststrings.com which IMHO can't be beat for price, speed, and service.