Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a new amp, whats best?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tomthedude, Sep 2, 2004.

1. tomthedude

tomthedude

Jun 8, 2004
    Scotland!
    What kind of amp should I get that is slightly better than a starter amp, but not expensive? What makes should I try out? £100-200 15-60watt. Hope you guys know cause you've probably had so many amps....

Cheers
    :bassist:
    Tom

p.s what you think of Vox or Marshalls?

2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Hi,

I will ask you some standard questions thatll help us give you a much better idea of recommendations.

What kind of bass do you have?
    What kind of music do you play?
    What do you need/want from your amp?
    How loud does it have to be? (bedroom practice, gigging etc etc)

3. tomthedude

tomthedude

Jun 8, 2004
    Scotland!
    Ibanez Starter bass
    I play from From Beatles to Hendrix

Able to gig, but not too big

4. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Ashdown Electric Blue combo. The 12" version is about £230 from soundslive.co.uk - it'd be worth the extra couple of quid...

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I'll second that suggestion - seeing as you're posting prices in £££s you must be from the UK.

Ashdown is well worth a look - I have an older Electric Blue 130 (15") speaker.....well worth the money !

6. tomthedude

tomthedude

Jun 8, 2004
    Scotland!
    so ashdown over every other amp in that range? What you think of vox bass amps?

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Wow, my great grandpa immigrated from Belfast...

8. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I miss something?

Ashdown has a very 'coloured' sound which means the amp adds a lot to your tone, some like it some dont. If you dont like the sound, then dont buy it! :D

Saying that, look at Guitar, Amp, Keyboard. See what catches your fancy, with features, price, power etc. and then try them out at a shop near you.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    the best amp for you will be the one you decide to buy after you visit a few music stores, and play through as many as you can.

For the record, I think the others are steering you in the right direction when they say Ashdown. It isn't as readily available around me, but the few times I have heard their gear, it is great.

-Mike

10. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    No no, I just noticed that Bigwan's in Belfast... Sorry for the distraction, please continue.

11. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    My apologies, I thought it was some sort of slur on Ashdown or something. :p

Its really hard to decipher meaning when all we have is text.

12. As you are like me in the uk i would suggest the Behringer 3000 bass head or the Ashdown Mag300 head and then get a cheap 1 x 15" cab off Ebay.

Or Hartke HA2000 head is good value for the money and is still loud to gig in most bands.

Mart

13. Some of the Peavey combos are ok, an old TKO or a TNT would be ok. They arent too punchy but are nigh on impossible to overdrive. Both 1x15", later TNTs had a horn, some came with Black Widow speakers. 80 and 150 watts respectively. I play Trace Idiot myself but have used both of these combos at some points in the past (usually when the Traces have packed up on me!) Maybe worth a look anyway...

14. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    While Id certainly recommend a head and cab setup (or even a pre/power) the dude asked for a combo, so thats what we sugested.

IMO, combos are a no-go for gigging though . . . . .

15. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Have you tried looking at either Marshal B65 or Laney R2?

Marshall B65 from GAK is £269 which is over the top of your price range but you get 65 watts RMS. I've got the B150 and it is a smaller more compact version of it. IMO I would get one as you can't beat Marshall amplifiers, their tone and strength is like nothing else. Plus you have the unbeatable customer service!

Laney R2 again from GAK is £228 which ain't to bad on the price and you get 120 watts RMS. Never played one but could be worth looking into.

As far as gigging with a Combo, it is possible, so long as the room ain't bigger than a church hall, otherwise you need a DI into the PA.

16. tomthedude

tomthedude

Jun 8, 2004
    Scotland!
    I tryed out a Marshall 35 watt amp, £110 sounded good, but then I did try it out with a Rickenbacker, wish i had both of them :crying:

17. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Just a word of warning, 35w will not cut it in 95% of gig situations without sound reinforcement.

18. tomthedude

tomthedude

Jun 8, 2004
    Scotland!
    I need quality sound, in pubs and small clubs

19. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    A marshall B150 will, just a shame about the price.

Try the Laney, I don't know how good the sound quality is but they do seem cheaper than the Marshall.

20. were are you from in the uk???

I've got a laney R2 that i'm selling right now it'll be under £200

for pubs and small clubs it's great and it sounds better than the marshal (believe me I had THAT marshall when i started out) you'll want more power in a matter of hours!