Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a new Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Harpo, Mar 24, 2001.

1. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I am starting to do small Gigs & and backyard partys I will
    not be going major gigs and this is just for fun . I don't think
    that my Peavey TKO 65 is going to cut it . I have a Budget of
    Between 500 and 600 that's It (Buying new House) so money
    is a issue I am thinking Of the Ampeg Rocket 100 , SWR Working's Man 15 or Carven BP100 or 200 . I am not playing
    Metel or Hardcore and my drummer is not that Loud.And I am
    playing a G&L L-2000
    Thanks

2. If you manage to stumble on some extra cash I'd say buy the Carvin RC210 ($769) from what it sounds like you're planning on doing you'd never need another amp.

If your budget is absolutly carved in stone (which trust me I understand cause I've been there and in many situations still am :D) then I'd say go with the Carvin PB200. It seems like it's fairly flexable. I personally am scared by anything with that low of wattage, however I play in a band where my drummer is insane so I'm kinda biased.

3. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    We are a small blues and R&B outfit with a little
    60's 70's rock thrown in my drummer is not too
    bad . The Cyclops does seem nice!!

4. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    ampeg has a 1x15 100W combo for like 430 or so at musician's friend...

swr workingman's 15 is about 650...

i would consider buying a gallien krueger 400rb or hartke ha3000 (i think that's the model - 300w head) for about 450 or so, and then buy any used cabinet. upgrade the cabinet later, but that way you'll have some flexibility down the road. the gk 400rb is a nice unit. played both that and the hartke the other day...both nice.

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    If you'll be in the market for a used amp I have an SWR workingmans 15 (older version) that I am getting ready to sell (once my new Carbin RL610 stack arrives). Not sure how to pack it to ship anywhere, but I can probably figure that out. It is a great amp and I used it on many gigs in smaller venues. Email if interested.

-KB

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    For a traditional bass sound with excellent low end and warmth, the Ampeg B-100R is hard to beat. Add in the likelyhood that it cost less than the other amps and is perfect for the situation you described.

I've gigged with one for a couple of years now. I like it better than the Ampeg B-15's I've owned. I've also played practically every combo out here. This amp compares favorably to combos costing three times as much.