Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a new amp!!!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by werbo1, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Well see topic. The guitaristin my band is getting a deville (fender) with 4 ten inch speakers and i want something that can compare to it. I was thinking the bassman 100 or 200 but don't know how well they will compare. On Musiciansfriend i saw a gallien kruger with 4 10 inchers and was wondering how that would compare as well. I can spend 650 dollars (est.)

2. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I bet the GK you're looking at is the 250BL and the Backline 4x10. I had that setup and my guitarist has the 4x10 DeVille. The GK setup will give you just barely enough volume to compete with the guitar.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    go used!!!!
    try to get a head with 300-400 watts, there are lots of good cabinet combinations to choose from, maybe a 410 or 210s and a 15, or 2 12s

4. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Good idea.

I forgot to mention that I now have a 600w setup that has about %150 of the volume that the GK had. It's definatly loud enough. I turn it up half way and can hear the bass just fine. I turn it up 3/4 and the bass starts over powering the guitars. I'd say 300-400 watts would cover the bass just fine though. 125w is a little low. Oh and I wouldn't go for the 4x10 backline. I still have it and I regret buying it. The low mids sound nice but the lows, highmids, and highs sound like crap. I'm going to sell it and get 1 then eventually 2 Aguilar 1x12s(one 1x12 costs the same as the GK) or Mesa 1x15, something that I can fit into the trunk or backseat of a sedan. As I said earlier I have plenty of extra volume from my 4x10 so that should make up for the decrease in speaker area by getting a 1x15 or 1x12.

5. Ok thanks all...Only thing is, i'm not sure how to set up a cabinet and head. Is a cabinet just the speakers? and the head the controls?

6. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Yes. The cabinet is full of speakers and has a jack to plug in to. The head supplies the preamp, tone controls and the power section. Combo amps are a combination of the head and the speaker cabinet.

I would get a used Bassman 400 if Fender is your ticket.
    You'll need the power eventually. Check your local used market. You'll get more for your money in the end.

Also, play the amp before you buy. You can play amps that have the same power and they will all sound different in tone and volume.

7. I personally have a lot of problems with my Fender Bassman 400 combo. I think its a 2001 model. It's noisy(one of the speakers I think is blown) it's almost never loud enough, and it doesnt have the second output like the newer units so you can't add a second cab. I bought it brand new and I never even beat on it, it has the clipping LED's so when ever I see that I know to turn the gain down or play lighter. If I could do it again I would've gotten something else.

8. Juan Ortiz Jr.

Juan Ortiz Jr.

Jul 23, 2004
    Hi, If you can give me a cll @ 916-852-2871 from
    9:00 A. M. to 6:00 P. M. Pacific standard time. Maybe i can
    help.

Juan