Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vacant, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Vacant

Vacant

Dec 27, 2004
    Prices 1200-2000 MAX USD
    not REALLY huge, i want to be able to move it, no rodies yet.
    Good sound, warm tone, decent slap
    I do everything from Muse type stuff to chili peppers, to As I lay Dying to Dream Theater
    perferably a combo, doesnt have to be
    Has to be pretty loud
    Must be studio quality
    Feel free to bend the limits of what I let a little aside from the max spending.
    Sound clips would be nice

My current amp is a ashdown electric blue 115-180
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. whats the price in? where are you from?

are you looking for another combo or a head/cab ?

3. KUSTOM GROOVE BASS

With a max of 1200 quid or dollars to spend you could get 2 of the things...nice warm amps too for the price! :cool: ;) ;)

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    A GK 1001RB-II and a 212 Neo cab run $1170 shipped from riksmusic.com.

Another very popular rig here is the Kustom Groovebass with some configuration of cabs from www.avatarspeakers.com.

I'd recomend starting your search by finding an example of either head adn seeing how you like it. Depending on what your reaction is people here can probably steer you to other gear.

$1200-2000 gives you a lot of choices, you should be able to find just what you want in that range.

5. Vacant

Vacant

Dec 27, 2004
    i have a max of 2000 USD

6. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    For your needs and budget, Eden. Try a WT550 into a 210XST, I'm pretty sure you'd be happy as hell. Add a 212XLT, heaven. But now I've broken your bank.

I'm a big advocate now after starting to acquire Eden gear over the past couple years, but I'd recommend Eden to just about anybody playing electric unless you're going for that real modern, ultra-clean hi-fi tone (although pretty hi-fi, Eden colors your sound to an extent). Haven't tried them, but Thunderfunk amps are supposedly close, and Kustom gets good air on this forum as well but I often see that "for the price" caveat. I've never played any amps that are as easy to get solid tones out of than Edens, they really let the voice of your instrument come through (real nice basses there btw) and they seem to go best with their cabs.

7. +1... get that 210XST in 4ohm version to get all the watts out of the 550. You will still have the option to add another 210XST at 4ohms down the road, since the 550 is safe to run down to 2ohms if you need more oomph. The 210XLT is also great sounding.... a little more mid punch, not quite as wide... both great (if large and heavy) 210's.

8. A Mesa Walkabout Scout 15" version, in 8 ohm so you could add an 8 ohm 2x10 extension??

9. th3x3n0cid3

th3x3n0cid3

Aug 10, 2005
    i suggest you look into aguilar, demeter, and accugroove

10. Rumblebee

Rumblebee Guest

Mar 16, 2005
    with that kind of cash you can get a great rig. :) all of the aforementioned comments are rock solid, but I should say that if you really like your ashdown why not also consider upgrading within the ashdown line? that is, if you're happy with the ashdown. a nice ABM head (like the 900 EVO) and a couple of hot cabs (epifani, aguilar, eden, etc.--based on the sound you are going for). I got a chance to play through an ABM and it was sweet to my ears, though I don't play slap.

you should also figure out if you want 10s, 12s, 15s, or some mixture of them in your cab(s). 12s have always sounded nice and versatile to me, but I'm going with 2-10s and 15 in my rig, so there you have it.

again, I'm not slap happy, but you could think about a sexy all tube amp, like a used mesa 400+. just some thoughts... :bassist:

11. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If your gonna drop that much cash, then you need to try stuff out. Each brand of equipment suits many different tastes, and it would really suck to get something and be dissatisfied with its tone. Also... TRY to go used. Because if you dislike a piece of used equipment, you can sell it off and barely lose any money.

Another question: Do you know if your a tube guy? The answer to that could help narrow the selection down a bit. Also, are you looking for something portable that you could move yourself?

12. The 2x12 combo should put you right at your max.
    http://mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Amps/Venture/Venture.htm

I was at Guitar Center and I think the Scout 15 was $1000, 300 watts, 3 band semi-parametric eq. I admire the eq on the Walkabout Scout. Very nice tone shaping abilities...though nothing compared to the 5 band eq on my M-Pulse 360 with the 5 band I can do anything. When I first fiddled around with it I realized that I could the exact same sound as my (now gone) 750x by turning only 2 knobs. Theres a whole slew of features you get by upgrading from Walkabout to M-Pulse. If you want an M-Pulse 360 (recently discontinued) Guitar Center has about 4 new ones in the U.S. There were 6 two weeks ago and I got the only new one in Houston (lucky me).

Good luck on your hunt! :bassist:

13. The 2x12 combo should put you right at your max.
    http://mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Amps/Venture/Venture.htm

I was at Guitar Center and I think the Scout 15 was $1000, 300 watts, 3 band semi-parametric eq. I admire the eq on the Walkabout Scout. Very nice tone shaping abilities...though nothing compared to the 5 band eq on my M-Pulse 360 with the 5 band I can do anything. When I first fiddled around with it I realized that I could the exact same sound as my (now gone) 750x by turning only 2 knobs. Theres a whole slew of features you get by upgrading from Walkabout to M-Pulse. If you want an M-Pulse 360 (recently discontinued) Guitar Center has about 4 new ones in the U.S. There were 6 two weeks ago and I got the only new one in Houston (lucky me).

Good luck on your hunt! :bassist:

14. Vacant

Vacant

Dec 27, 2004
    I love the warmness and really awesome overdrive of tube, but the slab is mediocre at best, and I like to play alot of styles, and my basses are well suited for teh styles I play, Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Progressive Rock/Metal, Metal, Hardcore, Funk, Mars Volta + Muse (cant fit into a genre), Alternative.
    The bands I sound like most are (in this order) Dream Theater, RHCP ,Muse ,Metallica, and some other hardcore stuff.
    Sometimes i like really deep/bassy tone ( mesa/boogie for example ) , or a gritty in your face punchy tone ( ampeg ) or Funkadellic awesomeness (GK ) SO Im looking to be able to get a well round of these, My Ibanez can do any tone very well, even funk.
    Thnaks again
    Gordon