I need a new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Polyphonic_Bass, Feb 1, 2003.

1. My birthday is comming up and I am looking for a new amp. I have around US$700 to spend. I play a lot of slap but i also need a smooth finger style sound. What would you suggest that I look at. It doesnt matter if it is a combo or a head and cabinet.

2. I am thinking about the Bassman 100 combo. Would this be a wise choice or is there a better head + cabinet for the same price?
  3. jaco1pas

Feb 1, 2003
    sact. ca.
    there are alot of choices out there, a bassman is prob one of the worst(unless your talking about a vintage fender). umm try a gk 400 with a hartke cab. or carvin equip. is pretty solid . and their's always peavey,not bad(not really good either) for the $$. you should shop on ebay , sometimes there is some great deals.
  4. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    A dude in classifieds has an SWR head for $230. It's probably the WM's series. It probably wouldn't be a bad place to start and it would leave you plenty of $$ for a cab,
  5. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i highly reccomend carvin heads. you can get an R600 used for 350.

Then go get one (or two) cabs from avatar. a 15 and a 410 would do you nicely. Or two 1x15s.

if you can find a cheaper head, then you could get a peavey cab, or even an eden/nemesis. possibly an ampeg.

i DO NOT reccomend carvin cabs to ANYONE.

go try a bunch out at your local music retailer, then look on the internet for better prices.
  6. The problem is that I live in Melbourne, Australia and the stores here do not have a great range. I am thinking about buying something in the USA and getting it shipped in and saving lots of money because here things are expensive.

7. You might wanna look inot what shiiping and insurance costs are gonna be. Amps and cabs or combos ain't light! Shipping could be expensive.

Also, you may have to pay import duty or tax on an item coming in from the US - this could add a hefty percentage and erode your saving! Just be careful and maybe look into customs and excise in Australia first. Find out how much duty you will pay on an item valued at roughly what you wanna spend! You might find duty is quite high - this might explain why things are comparitively more expensive where you are.

Don't know prices in Australia, but I'm a fan of Ashdown amps now (was. and still am a big fan of Trace Elliot, but they're getting thin on the gorund these days). I have an Electric Blue 130 combo, but they do MAG combos whihc have a bit more power behind them.

You might wanna let us now what options you have locally - once you've worked out whether you can afford to import something!

All the best whatever way you go!:)
  8. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I don't like Fender amps either. I think their reputation for bass amps isn't the same as for instruments or guitar amps...

What about Australien brands? Labsystems? Ebony? (another TBer from Oz mentioned this name as a good but not too expensive brand)

As I live in Austria, I know what limited availability means - until recently we had very few brands and models to chose from (now we have 2 large stores in/near Vienna). The only thing you can do is go to different stores and see what they have and what you like; maybe some of them have online-shops...

Ampeg BA 115, SWR, Hartke, Ashdown, Warwick would be good choices IMO.

9. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    I would have to agree with the warwick..... very nice