I need a new backpack

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Figjam, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have had the same backpack since first grade. It is a black Spalding backpack with a brown leather bottom. It has never ripped or torn anywhere. Now, the zipper finaly has crapped out. I need a new backpack, any suggestions?
  2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    How about a Spalding backpack with leather bottom? They seem to have a good track record with you.
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I used this for a while

different color though... :D
  4. Osiris G-Pack :cool:

nothing says "im cool" like around school with music "mysteriously" coming from your bookbag.

5. the best backpack ever is the 7-11 backpack.
    me and my bro used to always bike down to 7-11 for munchies, and he'd put his arms through the handles of the plastic bag of our food, and wear it as we rode home. classic.:cool:

anyway... i just have a cool old knapsack i got at an army surplus store. pretty durable, and stuff.
  6. Jansport is a brand that makes outdoors sporting gear. Very well known for their great climbing gear. I would belive that their back packs are very well made.

whatever you do don't buy a BUM equipment ... even hobo's turn their noses up at them. after carrying around a college work load of text books for a month the bag started fraying around certain pressure points. A few days later the strap broke and now it's all tied together ... the things still breaking and i ahve a feeling i'm going to be going back to one of my bags that i've used through out highschool ... i abused that bag ... burned it, kicked it, threw it ... it didn't wan't to die ... however it did melt a bit at the bottom and pencils would always fall out ... :meh:

7. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yes they do. One of my girlfriend's dachsunds chewed up and down the length of the zipper, and some holes in the pockets!
  8. Eh, I mean just from general use, not total destruction by something.
  9. Next time you get groceries...use a plastic bag:)
  10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Choosing the RIGHT backpack for YOU is what is critical to your comfort. By that, I mean choose one that fits you. If you are tall, the backpack you need is not the same one as if you are shorter. So try on many backpacks before you buy. Make sure the backpack feels right. If you can, bring some books with you and put them in the pack so you can feel how they "ride" in that particular pack.

Make sure the straps are well padded. Make sure the straps fit your shoulders and are not too wide for your shoulders so that they are practcially falling off or so narrow that they are riding on your neck. Preferably choose a pack with adjustable shoulders, so that you can get the best fit for you. In fact, every strap should be adjustable and have sturdy buckles and sliders athat won't break and heavy duty zippers.

Make sure the weight of the backpack rides on your hips and not pulls heavily on your shoulders. If there is a horizontal chest strap in front, make sure it hits you in a comfortable place.

As you will be carrying the weight of many books, plus maybe your lunch and extra clothing, be sure the pack is sturdy enough and preferably has some padding next to your back, so book edges don't cut into you.

Be sure the top of the pack doesn't hit the back of your neck or head, a real irritation. Also a too high backpack can make it hard to wear hats that have a full rim. You'll just ahve to use baseball style caps.

If the pack has waist bands, make sure they fit you at the waist and not up too high so you can't breath and not down so low that they are useless. Some better backpacks have removable or retractable waistbands. That is a nice feature because if your pack is not fully loaded, you may not need the waist bands or the chest band either.

Handy features on good quality packs include pockets for CD players or MP3 players, pockets for cell phones, outside pockets for water or drinks, daisy chains to connect other items, a waterproof section for your lunch to keep it from sliming your other gear or also to put sweaty gym clothes, etc.

Make sure the fabric of the pack is sturdy and not likely to show soil easily or to tear or wear out easily. Check the bottom of the pack. It will need to be reinforced to stand up to wear and tear.

Consider also the weight of the pack itself. You are facing the choice of the heaviest packs often being the sturdiest and longest lasting, but then you must add on the weight of your books and gear, so the total might not be a comfortable match. On the other hand, a lighter pack might not hold up well.

LL Bean has a large selection of packs for books as well as for hiking. Trouble is, you can't try them on. One solution is to go to a a retail outlet such as Sports Authority and try on theirs. Even Target and Wal-Mart have a large selection. The key is...try on many different packs and go for the one that gives the best combination of comfort, durability and affordable price. Some packs can run over a hundred dollars. Still others can be had for twenty or thirty, but don't count on long life for those. Best of all, is get one on sale if you can be that lucky.
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanks guys, ill take a look at some of those. (special thanks to Boplicity :eek: )
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  13. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I had an L.L.Bean backpack that I had for a while, which I eventually decided was too small, then I got a non-L.L.Bean one for a while and it sucked. I now have another Bean one and it rules. have had it for like 4 years now and hasn't shown ANY signs of wear at all. The one thing I hate about good quality backpacks though, is that they always have tons of useless straps and things coming off them every which way. I chopped all the ones off mine with a razor blade, and it's so much better now.

14. yeah same here. i cut the waist straps and took the useless zipper pulls off of mine. i also littered mine with various patches (such as tool, spongebob, simpsons, dream theater, and a "you suck and thats sad" bunny) :bassist: