Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a new bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Apr 17, 2001.

1. I just bought a new Carvin RL610 stack for use at my church. Now I need a new bass to go with it. I have a American Std. Jazz which I love but I think I want something with an onboard preamp. The music we play has a lot of opportunities to play nice melodic intros high up on the neck. I want something with a lot of definition. Something thats clear and "pretty" sounding.

My jazz will grunt and growl but is not much on the singing. Thats partly because I put DiMarzio Model J pickups in it and refuse to take them out.

Price range is under $1000. I prefer a four string, I've decided I have no use for five. I'm am looking at the Ibanez BTB series again. Are those BTB400's very well made? They are awful inexpensive so that makes me wonder why.

2. It sounds like you need a Spector CR bass. They normally SELL for $1350 (4 string) but they are discontinuing the solid colored stains. The black glossed stained CR Spector basses are the best bargain at $699 through www.musiciansfriend.com

Just check the Spector threads and you'll see the great response these basses are getting!
    I have two 5 strings (I paid full price $1500 plus tax for each) and a four string. These are AWSOME basses!!!

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

I have a Stingray for sale!!

4. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I'd like some info on the stingray.

5. www.spectorbass.com
    This is MUCh better info than a lame Music man bass!!!

6. A new Warwick Streamer Standard with two pups lists at $1100, I think, so it shold go for a bit under a grand. I have a Streamer Standard 5, and I love it. One thing about church music: you probably want a 5 string. The first week I played my Streamer in church I used the B a lot. Now I don't know what I'd do without it. Also, look on ebay. There are a lot of good deals on there. I got my Warwick for about $600 used.

7. shakey_slim

shakey_slim

Jan 3, 2001
    Spokanistan
    cf,

I've got a minty 98 Warwick Thumb BO that may be in your price range. Shoot me an email if you're interested.

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Mr Dead beat me to it!!!! The Spector is exactly what your looking for!!!!!! That's a fact, not IMO. ;)

9. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    I´d say the spector is to bright for church music, maybe look at the Bartolini-Equiped ones or Warwick

David

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    C'mon David, is that a "fact"?;) j/k

Checking the Spector threads basically give you one side of the story...I know I don't usually go into them and state why I wouldn't buy one.

count_funkula doesn't want a 5 so that's a non-issue. He wants something that he can play up high on with good sound (too much definition can actually be a less than optimum thing, live).

There are a bunch of basses that fit that description...even a lame MusicMan;)

Remember, one man's awesome could be another man's yawn.

11. odie

odie Supporting Member

Hey Hey now, no picking on the MM ;)