i need a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crossingpoint, Jul 5, 2005.

1. right. i need a new bass. im sure many people have asked this before so im sorry if im repeating this question and im sorry if this is in the wrong thread section thing.

i play emo, punk and metal and i need a new bass. which bass (cheap bass) can give me the tone required to play all 3. im currently playing an Ibanez gsr205 and i must say that im not too impressed with it.

anyway, yeah, something maybe with active pickups. humbuckers. something along those lines.

type of music im into - story of the year, aiden, throwdown, drowning pool, avenged sevenfold (seriously dig the new album) eighteen visions, ill nino, rise against, nofx, funeral for a friend, from first to last, senses fail, my chemical romance.
    pretty wide variety, i know, but what can i do?

thanks a lot... and please dont kill me!
  2. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    How much are you willing/able to spend?
  3. this is very important.
  4. I think most of those bands play Fender Jazz and Precisions... You may want to look into MIM Fenders.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

MM Stingray seems to work aslong as you can afford one.
  6. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    You don't need a new bass. You want one.

Get a G&L Tribute. If you don't have the money, get a used one.
  7. the problem is the funds... and finding a good second hand bass in SA is virtually impossible as it seems as though my country is overrun by guitarsist and trumpet players 0.o...

i have around $400.

and really, i DO need a new bass. my gsr's completely messed. needs new pickups at the very least... and the neck is cracked due to an unfortunate (very unfortunate) gigging accident. its not worth replacing everything cuz i hate the actual tone of my bass anyway.
  8. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    You can't go too wrong with a P-bass but if you want active and humbuckers, ESP LTD or a Musicman Stingray copy would be the way to go.
  9. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    With this money you can buy a brand new Yamaha BB414 and they sound very,very good,and you have a new bass out of the box,i think is the best option for you.
    Yamaha BB414

and they are nice and good looking basses. :bassist:
  10. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    fender precision or jazz basses
  11. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    good option too
  12. dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    Ur have the same interests as me!!!:eek:
    i mean... some of those bands u listed are my all time favs...
    Nofx, Avenged Sevenfold, funeral for a friend, from first to last, senses fail, my chemical romance...:hyper:

i second the opinion of getting a Yamaha bb414...

Too bad Avenged Sevenfold turned mainstream btw... now geeks and posers in my school are listenin to them...:mad: :spit:

Rock On..

Alip BoB
  13. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    crossingpoint... out of all those bands, which are quite varied, I would recommend a used Ernie Ball Music Man SUB. You can get an active one used for about $400, maybe a bit more (pack your lunch instead of McDonalds for a few days ;)) and it'll be worth it.

Back in my heyday when I was playing Stingray's, I almost picked one up as a backup. Very solid instrument, great sounds.