Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jyag22, Feb 6, 2006.

1. jyag22

jyag22

Feb 6, 2006
    I have been playing since june or july of 05. i pretty much have a crappy bass. i need some info on getting a new one. If you could i would liek to know what to get and in a good price range. Thanks

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    You just gotta go out and shop man... Nobody is going to tell you what "you" would like in a bass but yourself.

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Tell us:
    Price range.
    Musical tastes.
    Style youre playing and style youre whiling to play.

That way we can give you some advise so you can go to a store and try a bass or basses you might like.

4. jyag22

jyag22

Feb 6, 2006
    ok...price range:up to 400$
    Style: for me rock but im willing for liek a jazz bass as well.
    my tastes include Primus, metallica, nirvana, red hot chili peppers ,dream theater etc..... please reply

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    well...there is a whole slew of basses in the price range. but posibbly for the type of music you are interested in, I would recommed something with a p-j configuration, or possibley something with hb's. As for exactly what bass, that is really up to you and what feels/sounds good to you.

6. jyag22

jyag22

Feb 6, 2006
    What specific make would you reccomend?

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    A MIM jazz 4 is a good starting bass, you can mod it a lot with good not so expensive parts.
    For a fiver or a sixer i would recomend yamaha (humbucker models are not good for slap though) trb 100x series are really consistent and 10 times better than the JM2RBX signature.
    Look at ebay and this forum clasifieds.

8. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I'd go for a bass with a P/J pickup configuration. This way you have the best of both worlds. The P's will give you a warm fat tone and the J will brighten it up for a trebly tone. The magic is that you can blend both pickups together to get a tone anywhere in between the two. Go to your local music store and let the salesperson know what you're looking for. Play several basses with this configuration and see which one feels and sounds the best to you.

9. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    an ibanez sr 400. its a great bass, it's just about time i moved up. here's mine:

PM for price/details, cos i am possibly looking to sell.

its a P/J combination, sounds great, PERFECT for an all around learning bass (for slap, tapping, fingerstyle, pic, etc)and here's a pic:

[​IMG]

comes with case, new DR strings on the bass, straplocks, and a strap. interested? PM me.

and yea, that figure on the maple owns. i've never seen another like it.