1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need a new bass..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fsf347, Mar 11, 2009.

1. fsf347

fsf347

Mar 28, 2008
    Okay, iv been playing for about a year and a half, after stopping for six months, and starting playing again, every day for about 4 hours again, this janurary.

i have a ****** ibanez srx2ex2, so i definitely want something new.

but, i really dont know **** about basses, like what do look for, whats good, or anything at all.

i like to play hard rock, funk, prog rock, etc.

the first bass that came to mind was the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, but i really dont know the technicalities, so im not sure.

so can someone educate me with basic information about basses, and what bass i should get?

the price range is $1000-1300

2. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    I was very impressed with the Peavey Cirrus line; not the BXP line. They have a great focused sound and are fun to play.

Aside from the sound, look for a bass that has great action and is comfortable to play.

Below is a picture of my Peavey Cirrus bass.

:hyper:

Attached Files:

3. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    if you can find a Rickenbacker in that price range, you'll never need another, IMO

4. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    There's a ton of options out there for that price range.

Before you drop that much on a new bass, what will you be playing it through?

Also, your money will go about twice as far if you buy used.

5. fsf347

fsf347

Mar 28, 2008
    i just have an Ampeg BA-155 ):

this was my first amp as well..

6. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    for that price range your options are pretty wide open.
    cant go wrong with a fender, i'd probably go used,
    although the new american made models are amazing....
    im a fan of the american deluxe jazz, but thats just me.
    test around and find a new baby, expensive or not find one you like.
    if its a squier, why not?
    next worry about what you are putting it through,
    if you have some extra put it toward a good amp.

this is an american made fender deluxe jazz bass

Attached Files:

7. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    My 2 cents: stick with that idea.

It's hard to recommend a bass to someone else... noone here knows what will suit you.
    Since you brought up the Geddy Lee yourself that must mean that you consider that bass, or there is something (you perhaps don't know yet) like about it.

It's in your price range, it's a good quality bass.

Noone can guarantee that you will like that bass, but in the worst case: if you owned (and sell it in the future) that Geddy Lee you'll be an experience wiser.
    And thus gradually you'll know more about different kind of animals of basses.

Also, with any bass you can play any style of music. And I bet the Geddy Lee would be perfect for the genres you mentioned.

Good luck. :bassist: :)

8. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Well, you'll hardly ever go wrong with a Jazz bass. But, there are so many options in that price range you'd have a very hard time picking a "best" option without a little more input. IME, I like the aggressive, forward tone of the Geddy but I wished mine had more low end. A couple months ago, I played the Classic 70s Jazz, which is MIM and under $900, and it was exactly the tone I wished that the Geddy had. So that's a good choice, but so is the Geddy.

Of course, there is Lakland Skylines, G&Ls, Musicman, Spectors, Warwicks, and on and on. All available in your price range. And that isn't even taking used basses into consideration. All of them sound and feel good to someone, but they are all different and there is no "best".

Other than your Ibanez, are there any basses you have played that you liked the sound/feel of? Any famous players have a tone that you really like (just a starting point)? Do you have access to a music store with a wide sampling of these basses available? If so, I would play as many of them as possible and see what grabs you.

9. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    My .02.....

Go to as many music stores as possible and play everything. Find out what feels/sounds good to you. You might not have to plunk down $1,000 for a bass. You may find something for $500 that blows you away. For example. I have a Dingwall as my main bass. I was in the store the other day and played the Squier Classic Vibe jazz bass ($150 used) and fell in love. So, I bought it. I have owned a ton of jazz basses, Fodera's, Modulus, Sadowsky etc... and this thing really sat well with me.

So, just go play everything you can get your hands on. You can make any bass fit in any situation. There are no rules or regulations for that.

Peace,
    Chris

10. buzzguy

buzzguy

Mar 8, 2009
    Winnipeg
    Yep, Chris got it right! You have to go out and play different basses in the shops, at a friends, wherever. Everybody digs different axes; body styles, pickups, finishes. They all speak to someone. Don't just go for a bass because it's an expensive name. Go for what sounds best, and plays best, to you.

11. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT

+1 to that. AND +1 to whoever first said to look at used gear as well.

play, play PLAY as many basses as you can get your hands on, you never know what will capture your imagination. Get to as many stores as are within your driving

With that kind of budget, you could probably add 2 or 3 basses to your arsenal and STILL have $$ left over.

Also-check out the classifieds here on TB. There are some nice deals to be scooped up.

12. RPIcka

RPIcka

Apr 19, 2006
    BC, Canada