1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need a new bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by azfryguy, Nov 6, 2010.

1. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    All the alan wrench screws are striped not sure if its cause I use really cheap tools or what. Either way I was thinking of a custom hipshot bridge. Brass with silver saddles,screws and springs but everything else black. I e-mailed them and they said it wouldn cost that much like $20 extra. Does anyone have any idea on how much it would cost to get it installed on my bass? Also I would like my bass to be string through just for extra options what would be the price on that?

2. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Have you considered replacing the allen screws, and using the correct allen wrench to adjust them?

3. Billy K

Billy K

Nov 5, 2009
    North Bay Marin
    JLS is right the allen screws will cost you a couple bucks at Ace hardwear.and get a allen driver that fits,also cheap cheap cheap in fact Sears and maybe Ace sell them with screw driver like handles so it could be your bass only setup

4. TGLbass

TGLbass

Aug 20, 2010
    what do you mean by string thru?

5. IMO, Hipshot makes the best bridge hands down

6. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    I have harbor freight tools there garbage but cost like a buck trust me im using the right size and i had no idea i could buy replacment alan screws

7. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Buy the best tools you can afford. The dollar or two saved on the cheap tool is quickly diminished by the cost of new parts.

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Amen. And don't criticize the bridge for something that's caused by using the wrong tools to adjust it. Set screws are cheap, and decent tools last a lifetime and don't mess up screws. If the original screws are stripped (not "striped," which would be visually interesting), then the problem usually lies with the person who adjusted them.

9. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    Couldn'ta said it better....

10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, I was sorta thinking the same thing when I saw "Harbor Freight", where you can buy a horizontal mill for what - $250?!?!?

11. Pilgrim

To be fair, there are indeed tools that I buy at Harbor Freight - but not things like hex wrenches. They are too often made of soft metal or they are overly brittle. I tend to buy more disposable or "simple as a hammer" items like pliers and metal C clamps. I don't think I'd depend on their screwdrivers, either - I like carbide tip screwdrivers and they cost $$, but they don't wear prematurely, bend or warp under pressure.

12. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    so how much are new alan screws

13. Pilgrim

Probably like 50 cents each. ACE Hardware is a good place to look.

14. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    and what exactly are they called when I walk in and someone ask me "do you need any help?" "Yes I am looking for _________"

15. Bring in your bridge and say, "These."

16. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Cap screws.

17. Take one of the screws out of the bridge and take it with you.

18. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    "Allen screws"--that's what this discussion has been about, hasn't it? They will need to know the thread pitch--this is when you hand over one of the screws that you have removed, and say, "Like this". If you can't unscrew one with an allen key, remove it from the bottom with a pair of pliers. If you can't do this, take your bass in, and show them.

Buy a couple of good allen wrenches while you are there.

19. Pilgrim

Good call. That's pretty obvious, but it's the only way to assure that you get the right size and thread.