I need a new calculator..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tsal, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    My old basic Casio graphic ain't cutting it in engineering-related maths, so I guess it's time for a new tool.

Texas Instruments seems to be the standard, TI-89 is what the teacher uses, so I guess I'm going for one, or has anyone better ideas?

Or, of course I could get a laptop and some advanced maths program for it.. Anyone seen anyone gone this route?
  2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    I use a PDA (Palm V I think). SOOOOOOO many uses, or a laptop. those calcs cost, what, $300+??? I'd go laptop, wifi baby!
  3. Markdezy

Jan 24, 2004
    I'm not "in the market for one" but I've got some friends who paid about 80 bucks or less for the TI-83plus.

Plus, if it's only engineering, you won't need a computer or even a palm pilot.
  4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    yea, sorry, but I'm all about tech overkill as I travel often for business.

besides I really don't know much about engines :D
  5. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, yes, but TI-89's run around 150-180 euros around here, that money could be part of a 2nd hand laptop that would come handy in other school use.

I really have no idea if one can get proper maths programs for free or how much they cost, though.
  6. Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    I use a TI-83. It's required for my math classes. Works fine for what I do (advanced algebra, trig) and it is supposed to last me all the way through calc (I won't be doing multivariable before college I don't think).

I find it more user friendly than the TI-89, but I suppose it is what you are used to.
  7. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    The TI-83 works beautifully for every math I've ever been in, including Calculus and Physics.
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  9. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

TI-83s are good calculators, but they don't compare in function to a TI-89. 83s have difficulty doing imaginary numbers, roots, etc., but 89s do it with style.

They are a little bit more expensive, but PLEASE do yourself a favor and go with the 89.
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    TI-83+ Silver ;)

Besides, more games are out for the 83
  11. i prefer the calculater that came with my happy meal, but the one ur getting sounds important. have fun, send us pictures of u doing hard problem, then finding the answer. i shall be waiting.
  12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Hey! I like you already :D

Welcome to TB :)
  13. I've had a TI-89 for years and it's never failed me. Plus there's all kinds of software you can put on it. All you need is a link cable and www.ticalc.org. Even games! :)
  14. membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    I'm about to graduate with a chemical engineering degree. Bottom line is, I feel the $150 i spent on my TI-89 has been the best money I've ever put toward my education. I use the numeric solver, polynomial root finder, simultaneous equation solver, numerical integration function, and unit conversions DAILY. These functions have been completely invaluable to me for the last few years.

15. i feel loved. :)
  16. I have a TI-83+ which does the trick, and very well. If you want to dish out more, the 89 is probably better, but you can get by with the 83.
  17. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I like you even more since you're from Texas!!

What part, if I may ask?
  18. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    89 or Voyage 200 (92's follower) ?

19. austin