1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need a new car!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GBBSbassist, Nov 9, 2018.

1. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    I'd appreciate some advice or some input from fellow TB'ers, seeing as many of you use your vehicles the same way I intend to use mine, schlepping gear all over the place.

I'm in the market for a new vehicle atm, but I'm not really sure what I want. I have a few requirements, or at least things I'm looking for in a vehicle.

-At least average fuel efficiency (think 25-30 range)
    -Decent cargo space
    -All-wheel drive or 4WD would be nice (not a deal breaker though)
    -Under $30k or less if possible (I'm not the type to be able to afford the luxury brands)

I had considered some of the smaller SUV's (Mazda CX5, GMC Terrain, Ford Escape, etc.) but the prices seem to vary a lot and some manufacturers seem like you pay more for less.

I'm not against a car, but the cargo space is important. So I'm completely fine with hatchbacks/crossovers.

Lastly, I'd LIKE something with all-wheel drive, but that's not 100% a deal breaker. I do drive in a snowy climate, but it's never been an issue for me. It would just be a nice addition.

Just sort of curious about your personal experiences with vehicles that fit the criteria. What did you like? What did you dislike? Any models out there that are just too much of a hidden value to pass up?

Thanks!

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Subaru Forester.

My wife has a 13 for her DD and I've got an 04 as my winter beater. Both great cars.

Likes? Pretty much everything...... decent fuel mileage, roomy interiors, good visibility, AWD is awesome in the snow, above average reliability.

Dislikes? The "lesbian" stigma attached to the brand.

Joedog, Low84, bassdude51 and 3 others like this.
  3. My wife and I both drive Ford Edge's, they meet the criteria you have listed here and the two we have now are the 2nd and 3rd ones we've owned, both 2014's. The first one was a 2008 and just got rid of it with approx 170k miles. Roomier than the Escapes with pretty equivalent fuel economy.

Before these we were Explorer people but as the kids got older we could downsize.

Just my experience.

Here's the usual gig load for me, and putting it all in the Edge. The moving blanket is just there to protect the painted edges from getting beat up by a clumsy loader, me!
    upload_2018-10-22_8-33-20-jpeg.

upload_2018-10-22_8-36-1-jpeg.

murphy, saabfender and MJ5150 like this.
  4. GBBSbassist

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    This one was actually on my radar. The only downside for me was that I didn't really like how they looked all that much. I'm gonna take a second look at them tonight I think.

Thanks for the heads up. I've actually always really loved the Ford Edge. I just don't think I could afford one, but I'll take a look in my area. Certainly looks like it fits the bill though for cargo space.

WI Short Scaler likes this.
  5. They are popular and lots of them in the used market. The larger area you can search in the better your chances, and the options available vary alot too, which of course affects the price. Good luck!

MJ5150 likes this.
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    We love our 2010, but I've never got 25-30MPG in ours.
    I think 22, maybe 23, was the best I ever got and that was long range driving in the flats of Utah and Oregon.
    Typically we're 19-21.

-Mike

7. GBBSbassist

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    Maybe the difference between AWD and FWD? Not sure of which models you guys both have, but I know their website has a difference between the two, which is expected.

WI Short Scaler likes this.
  8. Mine averages 25 on the highway at around 60, crank it up to 70 and it does go down to what you say. Here most of our driving is rural 55 mph highways so maybe different driving situations.

And the 2014's are both AWD, the 2008 was front wheel only and I routinely got 28 on that.

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I get better mileage from the 04 Forester than I do from the 13......

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Good point, AWD for us.
    I don't do 60 MPH often. Usually 70 MPH.

-Mike

11. Mark_70

Mark_70

Dec 31, 2013
    Minnesota
    +1 on Subaru.. Had an Impreza and the wife drove a Forester for years - never had any trouble with it. Yeah; not the coolest car in town, but hey; you can buy a couple of them for the price of one Jaguar F-pace :)

Regards
    Mark

saabfender likes this.
  12. I have a Prius V, not 4 wheel drive but gets about 41 mpg. With seats folded carries 2 4+10 cabs amp head guitar stand, 2 basses and gig bag. With still room left.

murphy likes this.
  13. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Subaru Forester does it all.

Mike N likes this.
  14. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Subaru is what you're describing.

Mike N and kesslari like this.
  15. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    My sister had a couple Foresters back to back. She was a traveling nurse and worked all over America on 3 month contracts for quite a few years and most of it was in the two Subarus. She hauled all her gear, which included at least 2 bikes and a kayak everywhere she went. She loved working in remote areas like medical stations out in the wilds of Yosemite and other national parks and rual areas of Maine, Minnesota, and other states with snowy winters. She put close to 300K on her first one and was over 250K on the second one when she switched to a Honda Pilot. The whole time she drove the Foresters her only maintenance was gas, oil, and consumable items. The second one had a problem in the drivetrain, but it showed up pretty quick after she got it and it was a warranty repair that didn’t cost her anything, and they gave her a Forester to drive while they fixed hers.

Mike N likes this.
  16. the_home

the_home Gold Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Honda Pilot, 2016 model or later (redesigned for a significant improvement in 2016). Bigger than a small SUV with similar or better gas mileage. And Honda has better than average reliability in about every vehicle category. They also look pretty nice.

murphy likes this.
  17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Honda Sport Fit, here. I have TOTL Michelin tires on the car and we get lots of snow here. With the two back seats down I am always blown away by how much stuff fits inside. No 4WD, just FWD. Depending on driving style and terrain, I have gotten between 30-40 MPG.

murphy likes this.
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Used Venza AWD. YOu won't believe how much gear you can get in that thing.

Venza-03. Venza-02.

fretter and murphy like this.
  19. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I am also looking

maybe
    Honda CRV
    Hyandai tuscon
    Toyota Rav4
    kia sportage

20. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Hyundai is a great deal - think of it as the car version of a Fender Rumble, much better than the price would indicate:

Elantra hatchback - not AWD, but surprising amount of room. My old drummer and I would cruise together to gigs, with a 5 iece kit and my bass and rig in back.
    Tucson - their smaller AWD. My drummer's current ride (he's an auto mechanic fwiw). Lots of room, and very comfortable.
    Kona - their new smallest AWD, basically the Elantra. I've never driven one.

I would check them out.

murphy likes this.