I need a new combo.any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalbass101, Jan 24, 2004.

1. metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I've been saving up for a new combo,Im not what sure to get though.I was going to get a swr210c combo,but I found out since SWR fused with fender,they've moved all their crap to mexico(Im a slight AMERICANIST).I dont/cant get a lot of money,I have 10 standards though im not very sincere on all of them,I only except from the good brands.

1.usa or british made
    2.birch or plywood construstion
    3.graphic eq
    4.tilt back
    5.solid state
    6.under $1000
    7.ext. out
    8.over 200 watts
    9.can handle low tunings

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
  3. Well it's not tilt back but I just got a Ashdown evo 500/115 combo and it kicks arse. The sub harmonic feature is really nice and you can blend a mixture of tube and solid state preamp. It has XLR DI. They come as a 2x10 and 4x10 as well.
    I'm quite impressed with the sound.
    Good Luck
  4. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    The Laney R5 meets all except 3.
    And as much as I hate to advocate them, Behringer make some like that, I think.
  5. metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I would SO consider a ashdown.how much is it and how does it meet to the "10 standards"?
  6. The EVO 500 combo's are 575 watts RMS. They have direct out (XLR)and you can send a post or pre preamp signal. No casters, but you can put those on for cheap. It doesn't tilt either. However the sound is immense. The Subharmonizer adds an octave below and you can blend it in, subtle or in your face. Real nice feature. Fattens up the sound. It's British made. Handles the low B perfectly. Solid State with a Tube preamp which you can also blend in as much or as little as you like.
    It also features a SUB out so you can run a line to another power amp and run subwoofer cabinets, it only sends the sub low frequencies to the sub amp.
    It has effects loop and it has a line for the tuner which can be muted.
    Birch plywood construction.
    Three straightforward rotary tone controls provide 20dB of cut and boost at 60Hz, 660Hz and 5kHz, and are supplemented by two pairs of additional sliders giving 15dB cut and boost at 180Hz, 340Hz, 1.3kHz and 2.6kHz. The EQ can be switched in/out, and flat/shaped by footswitch, enabling players to go from a flat fretless sound to a boosted sound via a favourite EQ setting.

I picked up my EVO combo for $899.00 new

Here's the ASHDOWN site
    Ashdown Engineering
    Hope that helps.

I haven't tried the Ashdown MAG series which I hear are quite nice and are more affordable.
  7. metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Well, just got done looking at ashdown.I think I would consider it.I really like the blue speakers.I think I might consider the 300 watt version though.If the 500 watt costs something like 900 US dollars,then its a no-$####er the 300 has to be the same qaulity,less watss and cheaper(I only need up to 200).I got a question though.If I do save up and eventully get this,am I able to control using the solidstate and tube? Or do I have no choice but to also use the tube part?I read in the feb.04 issue of bassplayer that ashdown is going to have a place in the US soon,kinda similiar to warwicks deal.
  8. you can take the tube out all the way or blend in as much as you prefer.
  9. ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    used super redhead ?
    edit: didn't notice the graphic eq requirement - u seem to have liked the workingman though :)
  10. I would say the Eden combos... I have the CXC410 and am really happy with it-330 watts, very portable, good EQ. Only problem is I am not sure where they are manufactured. I dont have mine with me here now, but I believe they are made in St. Louis. Their parent company is US Music Corp. after all.