1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need a new enclosure

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RobJeff3, Apr 25, 2009.

1. RobJeff3

RobJeff3

Mar 4, 2008
    Camarillo, CA
    I have a Mesa Boogie M-pule 600 head.

Right now I have a set of GK Goldline 4x10 and 1x15 cabs.

The Tone I get is just awful.

I am looking at a Epifani 4x10 NYC
    Schroeder 1210L
    US Glockenklang Quattro 410
    or an older Schroeder 21012R

Any suggestions on what to get. I play rock to reggae from bluegrass to jazz. I am just looking for the best all around tone, that bumps and the mid highs come through clear and understandable.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks
    Rob Jeffries

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well i have never heard great things about GK cabs, (sorry if i offended anyone) although their heads are wonderful.

how loud do you need to be? That may dicatate cab choice to some extent.

My best advice is to bring your bass and your head to as many places as possible and see if you find the tone you want. For every cab out there, you will find one camp that sings its praises, and another bunch who think its best location would be in a landfill. :smug:

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    All your choices seem like better cabs than the Goldlines you have now, so improvement will be easy. Try before you buy, if at all possible, otherwise, you never know. Good news is, almost anything is better than what you have.

4. RobJeff3

RobJeff3

Mar 4, 2008
    Camarillo, CA
    Sadly I won't have a chance to try these cabs out, so I was hoping that someone would have some experiance with these. I play in a power trio that plays rock to reggae from bluegrass to jazz. I need to play venues that will accommodate up to 500 people.

I'm leaning to the Epifani, but I don't know anything about their older cabs. The one I am looking at is in excellent condition.

I would go out and get a mesa power house 2x10 and a 1x15, but I can't find them at the price I'm looking to spend.

I can say that the music I play tends to be a bit bass heavy. It's gotta be present.

Help!!

Thanks
    Rob

5. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

If you can't listen to them, you risk wasting more money.

The goal is to get the tone you like. You'll never hear a cab by reading about it.

Don't take anyone else's word about how a cab sounds.

6. RobJeff3

RobJeff3

Mar 4, 2008
    Camarillo, CA
    You know I know this, But I can't really get around it.

If I could get a mesa 4x10 or a 2x10 and a 1x15 I wouldn't even think twice, but at the moment I can't find these cabs.

I know that it's like night and day but I'm hoping that the epifani might be similar to a mesa 4x10 just cleaner. This is posing to be a harsh post, but I'm not in a position to go and buy new gear and don't have a dealer that would be around that I could give a listen.

Some peeps have suggested a 2x12, but I jut don't think it's enough speaker/cab to make the bump. I know there are some bass players out there that have tried lots of cabs and have found ones that they like.

I'm looking for someone that likes the low end but will throw a nice lead/fill with higher notes and need it to come through with clarity.

And could use any advise.*edit* other than go listen to the cabs, they are spread across the nation. *edit*

Do I just sound like a total newbie with no clue? really I'm not that clueless I am just out of time and need a cab.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Well, ok then. I would grab that Schroeder 21012 then. It's plenty loud, and should have a bit of sparkle on the top end. Worst case, you can use it as trade bait for something else. I'm not a fan of 410's in general. I had a Powerhouse 410, as well as a couple of Ampegs. They're ok, but I prefer a 212, (like an Epifani UL212) over any 410, even though it might not be quite as loud. Just seems fuller sounding, to me. That Schroe kinda covers both ends, with plenty of booty.