I Need A New Filter..... Keeley Neutrino, Mu-Fx Micro-Tron III or Iron Ether Xerograph?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ebozzz, Apr 26, 2018.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    Ok, I need a new envelope filter. I've owned the Aguilar Filter Twin, Pigtronix BEP Bass Envelope Phaser and I now have the MXR M82. Out of the three, The Filter Twin is probably my favorite. Why? Well, I find that just about everything that I dial in with it I can use. It's a "safe" option. I do like aspects of the other two. What I am looking at now are the Keeley Neutrino, Mu-Fx Micro-Tron III and Iron Ether Xerograph. Unfortunately, I will not have the luxury of trying before making a purchase and I would love hear any thoughts about how the three new targets would compare to the three that I have experience with. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    I thought the Keeley sucked on bass, just sounded really bland compared to other Mutron clones. There's no way to control the output volume either as the sensitivity control affects volume also. You should consider adding the Emma Discumbobulator to your shortlist if you haven't tried one!

Alien8 and ebozzz like this.
  3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    Thanks! I'll add the Emma as well.....

4. The Xerograph (assume you are talking about the Deluxe as the standard version is a low pass filter with no envelope) is going to be a lot more wild and synthy and also a bit trickier to dial in than the likes of the Filter Twin (which I'd also describe as a 'safe' filter). I don't have a Xerograph but the main reason for that is that it sounds very very similar to the Chunk 00Funk and Moog MF101, both of which I already have.

I also have both the MXR M82 and the Micro-Tron III. The MXR is a good filter but the Micro-Tron wins hands down for me. I find the Micro-Tron is a lot more flexible than the MXR which sounds thinner in comparison (MXR is high pass only so you need the blend control). The Micro-Tron gets pretty darn close to a vintage Mu-Tron in tone, and the low pass, high range and down sweep settings are all very usable and tweakable on bass.

Agree [email protected] that the Emma DiscumBOBulator is another fine filter. I have the v.1 and it's got a lovely quack to it. It's not a particularly wild one though, so wonder if it will give you a lot more than the Filter Twin?

Shadowkast, FilterFunk and ebozzz like this.
  5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    Thank you! I think I want something a little less "safe" with this acquisition. The Twin will stay. I'm going to play around with the MXR more as it's still fairly new to me. Just based on first impressions though, I still want something different.

Bo0tsy likes this.
  6. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Micro-Tron - it’s the filter sound in your head

FilterFunk and ebozzz like this.
  7. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Not my video, but the Microiii and XD sound pretty close.

I have the Moog and the XD on my board. The XD is not a safe filter, and is capable of many many things, the new 2 button version is a huge bang for the buck. Its actually very good at coping some of the other filter tones out there - using a light drive in front gets you close to a Moog. You can get into high resonances, self oscillation and some really wild sounds. It's less "refined" than the others in a really really good way, and is nearly noise free. Excellet builder, service and support, really can't go wrong.

The Microiii sounds great, but it's certainly a safer filter than the XD. It's VERY good at what it does, but doesn't go much beyond it.

The Emma sounds cool too, haven't had much experience. Edit; just listened to a few V2 demos, and it sounds safer to me too, like the highs are emphasized.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    ebozzz likes this.
  8. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    I have used a bunch of filters including the Maxon, Groove Regulator, Prometheus, DOD, 00Funk, Ibanez SB7 (or something like that) and others, I’m sure. My overall definite favorite is the Xerograph Deluxe. I have the v2 with the envelope switch. I gather the controls were also tweaked to make them easier to dial in, with v2. In any case, it is absolutely killer with or without an expression pedal. Having the dual volume controls is key. My second favorite is the Prometheus.

Shadowkast and ebozzz like this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022