I need a new muscial inspiration to listen too.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by odie, May 5, 2001.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well i like funk but the goofiness gets alittle old, and I like solo and jazz, but it confusses my mind and ears or puts me to sleep. I like reggae but they often use to much synth/keyboards at times. I like heavy music/hardcore but often has so-so bass plaayers or lacks dynamics.
    WHINE WHINE ;) I know. Ive just been in rut when it comes to listening to music, I need something new!
    I guess the last few bands I dug with good bass playin on it was: Long Beach Dub Allstars(LBDA), Liquid Soul(wow!), and for heavy stuff Mudvayne.

I need some suggestions, help!!! Or else Ill have to turn to public radio, or Hair Metal :)
  2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Hey JT you got a disc of yours out that I can listen to yet, your samples that I heard rocked. It really filled my progressive rock cravings.(Sorry didnt mean to label you guys:))
  3. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    try some primus or rancid and catch 22. rancid and catch 22 have the best punk bassists. they could just keep walking on their bass for years without repeating anything. try rancid's maxwell murder or axiom and catch 22's keasby nights and walking away (i think thats the right name)
  4. odie

odie Supporting Member

Yep I got all the Primus and some of Les's side projects, and I have the first 3 Rancid albums. I heard their new one is good.

But I havent heard Catch22 before, I may need to give them a listen.
    Thanx for the heads up.
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, wow, thanks! :D don't mind the label, whatever works, right?

for more progressive music, or prog as it's sometimes known, check out

and go to the bands/musicians site - there's about 400 links there to various bands, some rock, some suck, but most have free music samples.

a few that i dig are (lots of foreign bands)

ars nova
    boud deun
    deus ex machina
    hoyry kone
    gordian knot
    univers zero

all this stuff is very different

these following bands influenced my band, and if you dug what we do, you'll probably find something to like about them too...

elp - tarkus!
    genesis - older stuff, especially when peter gabriel was in the band
    gentle giant - any really - killer vocals
    iron maiden - killers, number of the beast, piece of mind, powerslave.
    jethro tull - thick as a brick, and others
    king crimson - red, other 70's stuff, beat, three of a perfect pair, discipline
    king's x - anything up to dogman
    rush - anything really, but especially a farewell to kings, hemispheres, permanent waves, moving pictures (BIG TIME, probably my favorite album ever), signals, grace under pressure, power windows, hold your fire.
    yes - anything from the yes album on, especially close to the edge, tales, relayer and drama.

also, do you have any stanley clarke? definitely essential listening for any bassist, in my opinion, especially i wanna play for you and school days <-- required listening. :D

that should get you started :D
  6. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    *sigh* JUST LISTEN TO LORD ONLY!! THEY ROCK!!! JoHn TUrNeR rOcKs AlL tHE WaY!!!!!! I WannA bE lIkE JT WhEN I groW uP!!

:D @ JT
  7. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    melvin: My friend's brother is the drummer of Catch-22 hehe yeah their bassist rocks.. playing on that unlined fretless :)
  8. odie

odie Supporting Member

DM-Wow unlined fretless huh!!

JT- yeah I kinda dug GORDIAN KNOT, wasnt to crazy for Cynic. Ive never heard of Gentle Giant, and believe it or not Ive never listened to Mr. Clark either.

Any funky/ hip hop jazz ala Liquid Soul recommendations?
  9. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000

Proof :D
  10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's the spirit! :D

now all i need is a couple thousand more and i can start a church, get that bitchin tax deduction, and get all the babes - babes dig them church-starters, let me tell ya. :D
  11. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Have you checked out The Roots?
  12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    The Roots "do you want more..." is amazing
    Check out Jurassic 5 too.
    edit: had to add Black-eyed peas.
  13. Well the new Attention Defecit CD is due out later this month with Michael Manring on bass and Alex Skolnick from Testament on guitar. It outta be pretty kewl!!
    Anything from Michael Manring is pretty inspiring and is my favorite. He rocks!!

If you like Heavier or progressive stuff, check out;
    Psychotic Waltz- A Social Grace or Into the Everflow
    Sepultura- Roots
    Faith No More- Angel Dust or The Real Thing

Michael Manring- Thonk or Book of Flame
    Jethro Tull- Roots to Branches
    Mozart- Requiem
    Bach- Any harpsicord pieces
    Aquarium Rescue Unit- In A Perfect World
    Jaco Pastorius- The Birthday Concert
    Dead Can Dance- Toward the Within
    Michael Hedges- Best of
  14. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Well, if you want to hear the fine art of song crafting, listen to Todd Rundgren and/or Utopia.
  15. Bassr64

Feb 9, 2001
    New band called Sunna.
    Hot songs off the album :
    I'm not Trading

Power Struggle

'nuff said.
  16. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Consider making a big jump in genres and crossover to salsa, merengue, bossa nova, and other Carribean and Latino music. The bass plays a very important role in such music, as Latin American rhythm sections are killer.

Check out Bella Vista Social Club, Ruben Blades, Prez Prado. Nestor Torres...oh, the list is infinite. Amazon.com has a large selection of Latin music. You can hear sound samples.
  17. how about some Zeppelin...

oh, BTW, jason: it's Buena Vista Social Club
    cachao rules!
  18. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    check d'angelo, now that is some smooth, cool, sexy bass grooves. A great bass sound also.
  19. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Relman, I was thinking of that little group of Cuban salseros who play in Homestead, Fl. They have a pretty view. The Buena Vista Social Club (with the good view) is far better known. Just joking! I goofed. My face is red.
  20. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    since you are into LBDA, you should hear all of Sublime´s work, highly recomend "40 Oz. To freedom" album and the "robbin the hood"