1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need a new rig! Anyone have suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thexypattern, Mar 29, 2006.

1. thexypattern

thexypattern

Mar 29, 2006
    MD/DC
    I'm mainly a rock bassist that tours a lot in my band. My current setup is awesome, but i want something that will cut through a little better and also have a hint of that vintage grit.

This is what i have now:
    Alembic F-1X (old one with red tipped knobs)
    DBX 160a
    CREST CA9
    BERGANTINO HT310
    BERGANTINO HT212

I love this setup, but i dont like the idea of 2 cabinets, and i would love something in a 3/4 stack. I would even put out for a custom cab. Dont get me wrong, this tone is beautifully punchy and sounds great by itself. I just cant get it to cut through on stage.

Someone PLEASE help me...

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Vintage (tube) grit? See my sig...

3. thexypattern

thexypattern

Mar 29, 2006
    MD/DC
    thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately i hate peavey, and i'm trying to stay away from the standard ampeg choices.

4. Quadzilla

Yeah, I was not a Peavey amp fan until this head (this is NOT like any other Peavey I've seen or used). Anyway, Trace makes some nice tube heads.

5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Sansamp BDDI or the right EQ might make your dreams come true. If the gear you own cant get the job done, I am not sure what will.

6. thexypattern

thexypattern

Mar 29, 2006
    MD/DC
    had one then it was stolen... It got me closer to what i was looking for, but everyone got them. I just hate to be a conformist.

7. I don't know much about the 'high-end' side of things, but the sadowsky SA200 tube amp might be a nice choice for you?

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hmm...

maybe get a Berg NV610? i'm willing to bet it'll sound killer vintagey w/ the alembic.

if that alembic is too buttery for you, maybe try an Aguilar DB659. has a more browner burred tubey sound.

OR, just toss the whole rig, and get an aguilar DB750 w/ the NV610.

holy crap, that'd be rock 'n roll heaven.

9. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Mesa 400+/berg nv-610. It is every thing you discribed and more.

10. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the Alembic FX1 is a passive tone set up that basically give you no option to boost mid frequencies. If that's the one I'm thinking of, that would be the first place I would look if I was having cut-through issues.

11. Quadzilla

I run a Berg NV610. Man that cab was built to run with tube heads. My Peavey tube head sounds SO killer through it. I see you live in MD/DC. If you ever get up near Balt, I'll let you try my NV610. You will be ordering one shorly there after!!!

12. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    If you can find one the fender studio bass rocks, it's even better if you can find one that was cut so it's just the amp, great tube sound, but not as heavy as an SVT.

13. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Touring rock band? Loud, single cab, tube grit sound? Need to cut through?

Fender/Sunn 300t, or Orange MK2 or 3, and a Schroeder 410 or 31012.

14. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    +1. The Mesa 400+ can do just about anything and more. If you want a custom cab, look at LDS, but I happen to be in love with my Berg 610.

15. Schroeder 31012 for the cab hands down for what you want.