I need a new speaker, what are some good companies?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wolfehollow, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    I am not sure where to start, but I need a good 15" speaker to put in an enclosure to go with me Ampeg V4B head (100 watts/tube).

Any suggestions?
  2. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I'd probably choose Eminence. You can buy them direct from www.partsexpress.com - they have a nice selection under "Speaker Building". The "Alpha's" are cheap, the "Omega's" are fancy; the rest fall in between (but there are also fancier ones than the Omega's).
  3. JBL has been my choice for years.
  4. pullejo

Jun 26, 2002
    Atlanta GA
    I've got both JBL's & Em - JBL's in a combo now, the EM in a sub, and some EV's in my 5410.

Honestly, I'm really really surprised at how much I like the 15" JBL I'm using.
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'll second the JBL 15 vote. My E145 a beauty but it was easily twice the price of an Eminence.

I posted a thread ages ago asking for alternatives to Eminence and copped a bashing along the lines of "Eminence are great and you're nuts". You're gonna get a lot of votes for Eminence here.
  6. It really depends on what you're looking for and what you want to spend. I have a compact Sonic 1 X 15" cabinet loaded with an E-140 JBL. It cost me about $150, used, and it sounds great. JBL's are very efficient (i.e. loud) speakers but, brand new, they are expensive. Fortunately, you can find them priced quite reasonably used.