1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need a new tuner

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lobaw, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Lobaw

Lobaw

May 14, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Hey gang. I need to get a new tuner that will cover the range of a 6 string bass strung low B to high C and has a mike so it can be used for the upright as well. I've decided I don't want to get a rack mount, because I don't want to add the weight and I use different gear for different gigs. I have no idea what's out there since I haven't tuned-up any of my instruments in over 20 years. :D Just kidding, but I do need some suggestions. Thanks.

2. why dont you use one of those small $20 tuners that you get from any music store, they work and they weigh less than 100g

3. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Hey Lobaw, check out this thread

That's not a "do a search" thing man, it's an "I can't believe how many picked the same tuner" thing. That might be interesting for you ;)

4. Lobaw

Lobaw

May 14, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Wademeister63 thanks for the referral to this thread. I must have missed it earlier. some good stuff for sure. Actually, your suggestion may just be the ticket. Does it work well with URB? I have an old Korg hand held battery tuner. Its huge compared to what you're suggesting. Thanks.

5. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I have 3-4 tuners kicking around. The one I like best is the Korg DT-10 (or whatever it's called), mainly because the read out is large and it's bright enough to see in direct sunshine.

6. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    That thread that was linked is over 2 years old. Lots of new contenders to the strobostomp throne.

7. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Good point. My Sabine RT7100 readout disappears in sunlight. That's my biggest complaint with it. Other than that it is wonderful. (But it is rackmounted and now discontinued).

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Got any names of those contenders? My Strobostomp2 recently started crapping out on me.

9. ayryq

ayryq

Jan 9, 2009
    The Korg CA-30 was frequently recommended in the other thread - for a 5- or 6- string I'd recommend the CA-40 instead. The CA-30 works down to C1 (32.70 Hz) but the CA-40 will tune down to A0 (27.50 Hz) which is low enough for the B string without using harmonics or anything. It's really small and works. It has a mic for the upright too.

I went through lots of tuners as a trumpet player and the Korg compact tuners are the best for the price (in my opinion). The CA-30 is the one I see most in bands and orchestras. The CA-40 is nearly the same but gives you that extra range on the low end.

10. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    The Turbo Tuner, and the Korg Pitch Black are both excellent new entries in the market, and about half what a strobostomp costs. I have a PEterson as my main stomper, but I'm looking for a back-up, too.

I find the Boss TU-2 is a signal choking, hum catching, piece o' crap. True bypass is where it's at mang.

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    +1 for the turbo tuner.

12. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I lucked out and got an old style Conn Strobotuner on eBay for twelve bucks. I was even more amazed when it arrived in working condition. :D