Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i need a new web browser and email client

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Oct 7, 2003.

1. I just got cable today and it totally rocks, but I have two big problems.

1. I hate using IE. It's too public. If I want to add something to my favorites, its on everybody's favorites, and I don't like that. Secondly I don't like my history just sitting there for anyone who happens to stumble on it.

2. I REALLY hate using Microsoft Outlook. It likes to pull weird crap on me, like whenever I get into my account it will open up my AIM (for some odd reason), and if i forget to logout, my mail is there for anyone in the house who 0wants to see it.

So, I need some recomendations to replace both. Free programs only

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    If you were using a mac I'd say get safari and/or camino.

and then just use apple's built in Mail program(which lacks some features but has a pretty darn good filter system)

But for the PC, I would recommend Mozilla.

www.mozilla.org

it is very good, very fast AND has tabbed browsing(I think it's the only PC browser with tabbed browsing)

www.versiontracker.com

look around there for more free downloads(share,free,demos..etc.)

3. What do you mean about the favorites. Can you elaborate?

To get outlook express (you shouldn't use outlook for home use) to stop popping up aim, just go to preferences in aim, click on sign on/off, and uncheck the box marked "make aim my default messenger."

4. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Opera<BR><BR>Everything you need in one pretty box :)

5. Right now I'm running mozilla...its alright, but not entirely what I had in mind.

The main key here is privacy....I just want the freedom of having my bookmarks and my mail available to me and me only. :meh:

6. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    <BR><BR>Seriously, mate: check out Opera. It has personal settings per user, it is also a very nice little mail client, it's stable and very fast. Did I mention 'pretty' yet? ;)

7. Alright, I'll check it out! Thanks.

PS. Mozilla is really buggy. blargh

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I second Opera. I've been using it for years (I'm using it right now), and I've bought it twice. It's free with ad in the top, or you can pay for it and ditch the ad. It's tops in my book. If you're a student they've got great student pricing.

It takes some getting used to but I love it and won't go back.

9. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i use slimbrowser... tabbed surfing galore plus it has cool plug ins.. built in pop up blocker... good schtuff

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  11. I'm quite happy with Opera right now....far better than IE and Mozilla. :)

I also found out i can access email through my provider's (roadrunner's) website.

Thanks for the help!