1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need a nice Fender Jazz...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by minuseri, Feb 23, 2008.

1. minuseri

minuseri Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Greetings,

I have had just about every bass known to man... I still own my share of high end basses. However, I a have a firm belief that every bass player needs a nice Fender Jazz in the arsenal. I am hoping someone can direct me. I am looking to buy a Fender Jazz 5 string bass. I will mostly use this bass in church settings playing mostly gospel music and occassionally R&B. I have had a Marcus Milller 5 and was not impressed with the B string (Just not tight enough). So my questions:

1. What type of 5 string Jazz basses are cats in the gospel industry playing now?

2. Are the basses stock or are cats adding specific electronics? If so, what electronics are being added to the Jazz basses?

3. If not a Jazz bass, then what would you suggest for playing gospel music?

Thanks,

2. I'd say the new 2008 American Standard series is probably your best bet if you want a Fender Jazz. It seems like Fender's getting tired of eating dirt and are starting to actually *care* what people think of their axes.

3. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I find the low B on newer Fender 5ers to be tight enough.....for me. However, everyone's style is different and I think that, for some people, 34" scale just won't work. If you want a Jazz bass with a better low B, I recommend a Lakland JO5. Its just a regular, passive Jazz but it has a 35" scale, which tightens up the B string significantly. If you want to stay with Fender, try the American Deluxe Jazz V. I've played plenty of these and they had a good low B IMO.

I'm not a huge gospel guy, but I think you would have a lot of Sadowsky, MTD, and Ken Smith basses in that genre. Those are all so nice that there is no reason to modfiy them in any way.

4. reverb508

reverb508

Jan 6, 2008
    It's not a Fender, but have you checked out Lakland? They have some great 5 strings that are priced competitively with the MIA Fender equivalents. The Darryl Jones model is almost making me want to sell my Martin acoustic...

Heres a link:http://www.lakland.com/basses.htm

5. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    +1 on the Lakland J.O.!

6. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sounds painful, if you ask me.

:ninja:

7. alexmoore10

alexmoore10

Apr 3, 2007
    London
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Engineering Amplifiers, Elites Strings and Cosmic Ears IEMs
    Gotta agree with this. I have a Deluxe QMT V and it is a fantastic bass - has a great sound and is fab to play!!

Hope this helps

8. minuseri

minuseri Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Thanks for the responses. One question. A Deluxe QMT 5? What is that? Please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks,

9. skaismyhero

skaismyhero

May 21, 2006
    Dayton Ohio
  10. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    QMT=Quilted Maple Top..........It is indeed a nice bass, but ,IMO if you don't like the B pn the MM5, then you probably won't like any of the Bs on the other Fenders......the MM has one of the best B strings fender has to offer outside of the custom shop IME.....you'd be better off getting a Fender-styled bass (such as a Lakland)..the DJ5 would be a great bass to consider.......it's in the same price range and the B string is great.......I have seen and done a lot of Gospel gigs in the past year, and a lot of guys tend to go for Smiths, MTDs, Pavels,Elricks, and Roscoes in church (however, this seems to be largely due to the fact that most high profile Gospel bass players are using these..).......I do still, however see quite a few old 4 string Fenders in church.....

11. I think Fender's more recent American Standard line is a drastic improvement over their past offerings. The few I have briefly checked out were noticeably lighter, and felt a lot better in terms of construction.

That said though, it might be too little too late, as other guys, particularly Lakland and Sadowsky, have out Jazzed Fender. Especially in the R&B/gospel realm.

Although I only play a Sadowsky jazz now, I have owned a Lakland DJ in the past and it was 70s jazz heaven. I really dig the body shape as well. It made upper-fret access quite simple. Can't beat the blocks and binding either. While I'm not sure how the Lakland pickups sound, the Aero pickups that were in mine were perfect. I am a little hesitant actually to buy another Lakland DJ because of their changeover to in-house electronics. If it ain't broken...

Your best bet: check out Lakland for the old school vibe, or check out Sadowsky for a more modern take on that old school vibe. You can't go wrong with either.

12. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    I was never a big fan of the Fender 5`s, but when I got a sweet deal on a Custom Classic V, I bought it. Took me a while to figure out how to get a tight B, and I was not impressed by the stock Noiceless p-ups. But with Nordstrand p-ups, a good setup and tapercore B-strings this bass sound and play so well. The Nordstrands was a huge improvement, and the bass has a really nice bite in the upper mids now. I love it!!

I also owned a Lakland DJ5, great bass too. Nice B and aggressive 70`s sound

13. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I just received a new American Standard Jazz V today, and I think it's great. It's my first fiver, so my only experience has been playing others in the shop. I think the B string compares favorably with other nice 34" scale basses, like Music Man and G&L. Though I don't have the benefit of A/B comparison, I'd say it's tighter than the average of all other U.S. Fender fives I've tried. The tone stays pretty crisp all the way down. The setup is just about perfect. And Fender finally slimmed down the neck profile, so it plays beautifully.

But if you want a more modern, active tone for gospel, it won't do the trick. For that, I think you should take a close look at Callowhill basses (www.callowhill.net). Tim Cloonan developed some of his basses with input from players in the Philly gospel and R&B scene, so they have features optimized for the genre. He now makes a five string J bass too. You definitely will not go wrong.

14. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    What is your budget? How close dose it have to be to classic/vintage styling?