Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a piece of advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Don Fabrizio, Apr 10, 2001.

1. Don Fabrizio

Don Fabrizio Guest

Jan 27, 2001
    I want to buy a new bass amp, but I can't decide on one. Shall I buy a Marshall BS 65 or a Yamaha BS 120? The price is nearly the same.

2. I think you will find that Marshall has a pretty awfull sound tending to be muddy in the lows and just the allround sound could be better. As for the Yamaha well if it's any think like a practice amp of theirs I tried then don't bother it was horrible no life to it what so ever.
    I would suggest you look into something like Ampeg/crate, SWR, Hartke, Gallien Kruger. All these brands have good ranges of amps and there is always plenty of 2nd hand ones floating around in good condition and cheap. What is it you actually want ie. size, price and sound.

3. Don -

I agree with the assessment above. Also look into Peavey - great stuff at great prices.

John

4. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I agree with both comments above. Good luck!

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yeah, if it is a smaller, affordable amp that you are after, try out Peavey. They will sound twice as good as the Marshall or that Yamaha.

Ryan

6. Hey man,
    If you are looking for a great sounding amp, and you have a little extra cash, i highly reccomend the Fender Bassman series. I just picked up my bassman 100 and its fantastic. Lots of options, very versatile sound. Very very punchy, and nice crispy highs. As far as power goes (in watts) you can get the bassman in 25, 60, 100, 200, and 400. The 100's are about $500.oo, but i think the 60 is like $375.... Give em a look, i gaurantee you wont be wasting your time.