Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a portable combo that has a good low B tone. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Price a consideration, but the more options, the better. Thanks.

2. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    I'm looking for the same thing, and I havn't found very much. The Ashdown ABM series looks nice, but I havn't been able to play one.

3. Try out one of the Eden Time Traveler combos. They use the CXM-series cabs as their foundation; I have a CXM-110 and it reproduces the low B better than my D-210Ts do!

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    the awesome fender bassman 25!

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Fender Bassman 25. It's a rockin' little amp. Louder than you would think for 25watts. The tone is good and it goes low. :D

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Ampeg B-100R

7. Although it's pricey, SWR Super Redhead

8. Does the SWR Super Redhead come in any configuration other than 2x8"s? I've played the 2x8 and it does a mediocre job of handing the B... My Nemesis (By Eden) NC-212P combo does a much better job at half the price (650$ vs. 1300$). Of course, it's got 2 12" woofers.... and it's not too bad to haul around w/ side dishes and around 50 pounds. The Super Redhead weighs more but have casters and rolls very easily.

9. I have a Nemesis NC-410P - and it's a killer combo amp for the price - but it weighs about 70lb.

allan

10. GOOTA GET A AMPEG BA115 100WATTS OF THUNDER. VERY RESPONSIVE EQ. I HAVE THE 50 WATT VERSION AND I CAN'T BELIEVE THE GREAT SOUND I GET.

CHECK EM OUT.:D :D :D

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    LOL - I think it's funny that you have such a wide variety of amps to choose from.

Maybe you should say what size and weight you are looking to transport, and what wattage you need.

For small amps I like the Bassman 25. It could be compared to the Minx 10, the Carvin PB100-10, the Ampeg 30...

For Medium amps You could compare the Bassman 60 or 100, the Ampeg 100 or B2, the Carvin PB100-15, the Kickback combos... etc etc

For Large combos you have the Carvin RC210, the Eden Metro, Nemesis 210, 212... etc, GK 1001 combo, Fender 400 combo...

I was kind of under the impression that you were looking for a small amp, myself. So, I still recommend the Bassman 25. However, I will say that I never compred it back to back with the Carvin, and the Carvin is 100w same size and same price.

12. Hey analog,

I tried out the CXM-110 with a time traveler head and came away feeling like it just didn't have the horsepower (the cabinet, not the head) to carry a low B string. I got a lot of vent noise when I started romping on the B string (D and lower). You are right about the tone. It sounded awesome.

On the 210T - I think that cab is only rated at 60 hz for low end. The CXM-110 goes down to 36 hz according to the Eden web site.

What does anybody else think?

While we're on combos: has anyone played the EA iAMP combo? Pricey but it looks like it could be the bizness!

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    By the way... Embelisher uses his Fender Bassman 25 for some performances with a piano and singers (at Church I think...) so I believe that says a lot about what you can do with this small amp. :p

14. The Super Redhead is a 2x10 setup, not 2x8, i just thought i should clear that up.

15. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    If you can afford it I'd say BAM210. Plenty of low end.

16. I was thinking of trading my SWR Workingman 10 combo for one of those... does it own it up? Rather, does it sound like a tube, a pygmy tube, or plain old solid state? I know Musician's Friend boast that it has the tube sound...

17. nikofthehill

nikofthehill

Jul 30, 2001
    san jose, CA
    i agree!! goes low, beautiful tone

-nik

18. or I was considering the GK 400RB/115 1x15 combo or the 400RB/112 or the 400RB/210 but idk...which one has the best rating for a low B? or I was considering a Backline, but idk...or I was thinking of an Ashdown 1x15 combo...idk what would be best for a 6 string?

19. MFC is correct, the Redhead is a 2x10 combo. SWR does make a 2X12 combo called The Sliverado.

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The WM10 is not even in the same league;)

I've owned several of the original Ampeg B-15 fliptops, the B100-R reminds me of that tone, with much more depth, especially for a low B and much more volume. I love mine and just for reference I also have Eden D210XLT and Euphonic Audio VL110 cabs. Highly recommended.

One caveat... if you're looking for Fieldy type highs, this isn't the combo but if you're looking for a full-bodied slap tone with nice but not exaggerated highs, this could be the one.