1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need a portable recorder! Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by derrenleepoole, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Apart from playing the bass, I'm a field recording artist. I'm looking for a portable recording device. Something like an mp3 player that will support uncompressed .wav recording with a direct line-in. I know they exsist, but I'm having difficulty pinning down specific models etc. I'm fully aware of the following alternatives such as the Edirol R-1, R-09 and M-Audio Microtrack. I don't want one of them, all I need is a little player recorder that will take my line-in binaural mics and record at CD quality with USB out. I know iRiver did one a couple of years ago that recorded to wav format, but finding one on eBay is hit and miss, and they're now discontinued. I have a Minidisc too, but that is a compressed file format. Plus the MD with USB isn't supported on a Mac. I also know about the Zen Jukebox? But again finding one is difficult. I did look at the Zoom PS-04, but that only takes 128 meg smart media cards! Useless for field recording. And I'm aware of the Boss Micro PR (?) but know reviews of this are out yet.

Suggestions?

2. a00nick

a00nick

Dec 28, 2005
    Chapel Hill, NC
    With the zoom you can get a 2 gig memory cards on ebay that will run you for about 35 bucks. Thats somthing you might want to concider.

3. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I have an Archos Gmini that records to WAV. I've only recorded straight from a stereo output of a board with it, so I can't vouch for the ability to use mics. The built-in mic is way too sensitive, and picks up too many vibrations.

For using a microphone, I prefer my Sharp Minidisc.

4. BluesyCat

BluesyCat I'm irresistible. Gold Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Southern California
    Staff: Bass Gear Magazine
    You should really look at the Edirol R-09 - it records perfectly from the internal mic! It's mac friendly, super easy to use, and it can be used for any type of recording on the fly. I bought mine as soon as they came out.....and dumped the Zoom PS-04 - it's crap.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    MiniDisc is the industry standard for this kind of recording. What you need is a home or pro rack mount deck with a digital audio output for connecting to your computer which should have a digital input. You then record the old fashioned way, but with a digital connection. It is unfortunate that the MD portables do not have digital output.

You absolutely will not find a better portable recording device than MiniDisc. Period. The compression is transparrent and very low ratio/high bitrate. Don't worry about it. Also, the players almost always have high quality built-in mic preamps. How well do those other devices handle microphone input? I don't know.

If you're concerned about compression get your hands on the Marcus Miller "theozelltapes" live CD set which was recorded directly from the sound board to a portable Sharp MiniDisc recorder and that will dispell all your concerns.

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
  7. Cheers for all your replies. After much digging around I've decided that another Minidisc is the better option. Compression was never really an issue with minidisc recording for me (I've rcorded countless field recordings using it) But newer MD's support lossless recording so if you can have it, you should. I've discovered that Sony are now making 3 models of MD that are fully Mac supported, and offer full linear PCM recording on 1gig discs. These are:

MZM100, MZM10 & MZMrh1

A 1gig disc will record approx 1hr of uncompressed audio. A pack of 10 1gig discs is approx £10 in the UK or there abouts. You compare that to the memory card route and a suitable recorder, and it's soon becomes clear that minidisc is a far better option finicially. Especially as it's smaller, all 3 units have mic, line and optical inputs as well as USB connectivity to Mac & PC. And all these units support the additional battery pack adapter as well as the supplied lithium ones in the unit.

Go Minidisc I say!

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    MiniDisc has been a favorite of mine for years. And the newer Hi-MD or whatever they call it is just an improvement on an already fantastic product.