1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need a preamp for a Fender Urge I

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spinyn, Apr 23, 2009.

1. spinyn

spinyn

Apr 23, 2009
    My local shop has told me the preamp in my Fender Urge I has gone bad and that it is no longer made and they can't repair the instrument. This turns this expensive bass into a useless piece of wood and is a very frustrating position to be in.

Does anyone know where this preamp (I believe made by Kubucki) might be found?

Thanks a lot!

Mark Grissom
    New Orleans, LA

2. PauliePower

PauliePower

Dec 9, 2008
    Reading, UK
    A quick Google search confirms that the Urge 1 had a Kubicki pre-amp (the Urge 2 used a Fender one). Could it be worth getting hold of Kubicki and seeing if they can help?

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Preamps don't just "go bad". There are only so many parts on there, so finding a bad part isn't that hard. More than likely the op amp went bad, so that's just a matter or replacing the IC with a new one.

The other possibility is a part like a capacitor going bad, and those can usually be spotted by eye.

So it shouldn't be that hard to fix the preamp. Or replace it with a different preamp.

4. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    Or even more common a battery lead broke, it just shows lazyness or lack of competence of the technician that told it couldn't be fixed.