Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a preamp to go with my rig and bass...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Sep 9, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´ve got a Lakland Hollowbody and soon two homemade 12" cabs (Eminence Omega pro 12 and one JBL 2204H). Im going for a Soundtech 802 Poweramp but I still need a preamp.
    I really cant make up my mind. We play pop/rock. Listen here:
    http://www.bordellomusic.com click on "musik".
    Reckomend me a preamp, please!

BTW Im not playing on those songs as I just joined the band. I want a clearer more defined but still warm sound than the one heard on our site.

2. For Rock/Pop, I'd suggest the tried-and-true Ampeg SVP-Classic or SVP-Pro. Good tube preamps with the Ampeg tone that always fits nicely with rock. But, you're playing a Lakland Hollowbody, which leads me to believe you're a bit of a connoisseur. I suggest trying to get your hands on a Read Purity, Alembic F1-X or an Aguilar pre. All three are very warm and clear, plus they're extremely user-friendly.

Go to www.basstasters.com. Click on 'preamps', then hear for yourself. Todd has done exhaustive testing on many pre's, with fine sound samples covering different basses and playing styles.

Hope this helps.

3. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    You are in Sweden...you should go for the EBS classic 1...I love the preamp...currently using the Fafner...

For preamp...my choice is Read Purity. Jack is doing some amazing stuff right now :smug:

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The EBS pre I have tried (the first version) was not great and Ive never seen a classic. Also importing a used preamp from the US will be cheaper than getting a new EBS here.
    I´ve never played the SWR IOD. Might ve worth a try. But I am GASing for more exotic preamps like the Read, Demeter, Aguilar, BBE Bmax-T etc. But those are not available here. Will have to buy without trying. :meh:

5. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA

To me...Read pre sounds is in between a Demeter and Kern - perfect for taste.. :D

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm pretty familiar with the EBS "sound" since I owned the Fafner for about 5 years. I thought it sounded amazing and would expect the EBS preamps to sound the same.

I now own the Read Purity and think it's even better!:D It's design is all tube, built with the best of components, and beats everything I've ever played. It's very "tubey", "warm", yet taught in the low end and musical in the highs.

For a straight-ahead preamp, I recommend the Read Purity very highly. You will NOT be disappointed!