I need a Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RedGrange, Apr 12, 2001.

1. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I'm getting a damn good deal on a 800 watt QSC power-amp.. and I need a good pre-amp, anyone have any suggestions?
  2. After I decide on a preamp first or a DP Custom, if I get the preamp first, I'm going to get a Tech21 PSA-1. 49 presets and 49 user settings. It has EQ and a distortion.
  3. NeoTrotskyist

Apr 2, 2001
    If you can afford it, get an SWR Interstellar Overdrive. I've played through one before, and it did an absolutely beautiful vintage sound at low overdrive. And when you crank it, it just rages, and there's no loss in low end. If I had the money, i'd get one.
  4. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I've had one.. it got stolen with the rest of my old rig. I'm trying to keep it fairly cheap... but I might go for an Alembic.. depends on the price
  5. I have an SWR IOD and I love it! How 'bout a used Ampeg SVP? Those can be picked up for around $300 or less. Maybe a GT bass preamp (I don't know the model number, but it was designed by SWR), which can also be found used for $250 or less.
  6. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i post a vote for the psa by tech 21. but have you seen the new rack version op the wonderful sansamp bass driver pedal? maybe it could be for you. and me too....
  7. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Depends on what sound(s) you're looking for...

I LOVE the sound of my Kern IP-777 in my classic rock band and also with my double bass. Old school tube warmth but has plenty of brightness for modern sounds, nice mids.

also liked the Eden Navigator I have- it's only up on eBay because I need the scratch. Good built-in compressor plus the wide range of EQ that Eden usually offers.

My bassist son has an ADA MB-1 in his big rig; I recently picked one up cheap (as a backup for his, since it's so much of HIS sound) and I am very impressed with the warmth of the tube channel, and of course, the versatility that the MIDI present offer. A very nice box with some great sounds; if I needed more of a variety of sounds, like his original music requires, I'd have it in my rack. They're discontinued but usually around for about $200 or so, plus midi pedal if desired.

Ashley (also discontinued) made a nice preamp available on the used market for good prices.
  8. why don't you consider the rack bass POD? i saw Fighting Gravity, a pretty big local band yesterday, and i talked to the bassist about his setup for a while. he was using a bass pod into a mackie power amp and 2 eden 2x10s, and he raved about the thing. he had a great sound. he said he was using the SABDDI before but it's really not meant to be a full preamp, and it didn't give him enough meat, which i believe. anyway, try one out.
  9. fralim

Mar 21, 2000
    Im trying to sell my Demeter VTBP-201 preamp. Tube with the Jensen DI $375 and I pay shipping. Great tone but I gots bills ya know. email me if interested
  10. I'll second the Eden and Demeter too.
  11. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Alembic F-1X and an Alembic SF-2 superfilter.

You won't be disappointed.

12. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    If you're putting a rig together, do it right. Try and find a Kern Pre-amp. I've seen them used for around $500 (and less). They are simply the best there is. They do the vintage thing better than old SVTs and they can get as modern as you need.